News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Family Military History....

• Replies 110
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

His medals (1914 Star, BWM, Victory), cap badge and a little commemorative medal my grandmother got at the end of the war.

Mum also has his 1914 Christmas gift tin, complete with card and photo of Mary, and 2 little packets of cigarettes and tobacco.

cheers Jason

Edited by Jason

Next up, my paternal grandfather, 1634 Armourer Sergeant Albert Edward Williams, 5th Light Horse Regiment AIF. His nickname was Abbie, so I'll refer to him that way.

Edited by Jason

His medals, regimental collar badge and a Turkish belt buckle he picked up in the middle east....my mother still has the butcher bayonet and Turkish lance top he brought back.

Edited by Jason

Guest Rick Research

The warnings on the bottom of the discharge certificate are something! Apparently false "veterans" were a problem... in 1919!!!!

Back from lunch and full of energy...here's Reg's son-in-law, my maternal grandfather QX56841 Corporal Clifford Frederick Theodore Gordon, 2/12th Field Ambluance 2nd AIF 1942-1946.

Edited by Jason

The 2 little pink badges he made from denture material from the unit stores. He cut the faces off some shilling pieces and gave them to my mother when he got home. Apparently only these and a few other little pieces made it back, everything except his kit bag and the uniform he was wearing were stolen by a wharfie in Sydney.

Again we have a little commemorative medal my mother received at the end of the war.

cheers Jason

As you can see, nothing spectacular, no MMs or VCs, not an officer among 'em. Just 4 little fish who all played their part in 2 World Wars.

I've got heaps of other stuff from WW1, mainly photographs and very artistic sketches drawn in pencil in the fields of Palestine. I don't know how they'll scan up but I'll give it a shot if anyone is interested.

cheers Jason

Jason,

Great stuff! Do please post the WW1 material referred to above.

Most of my family heirlooms seem to have been lost before I was born. One of my Great-Grandfathers was killed in action at the Second Battle of Gaza in April 1917. I look forward to seeing the Palestine material.

Many thanks in advance.

David

Hi David, I'll try and scan some of the pictures at work tomorrow. Its amazing - the second battle of Gaza was one of the battles Grandad Albert fought in when he was a machine gunner! He was also in the Beersheeba charge, Bethlehem, Jersualem and the Jordan Valley.

I have a great pic of him in a barley field having "just drawn the fire from Jacko's batteries to determine where they were hidden" :o:o:o Incredible!!!

cheers Jason

Hi David, I'll try and scan some of the pictures at work tomorrow. Its amazing - the second battle of Gaza was one of the battles Grandad Albert fought in when he was a machine gunner! He was also in the Beersheeba charge, Bethlehem, Jersualem and the Jordan Valley.

I have a great pic of him in a barley field having "just drawn the fire from Jacko's batteries to determine where they were hidden" :o:o:o Incredible!!!

cheers Jason

Jason,

Great history from your family and I'm with David, please keep the scans coming.

In fact, it must be nearly tomorrow where you are now :D

Tony

Hi everyone

I've photographed these pics, no access to a scanner today sorry! These one's came from my Great Grandfather's time on the western front 1914-1918.

This one however is of his sisters wedding day 1906 - her new husband was a Boer War veteran. His name was Fred Tomkins.

cheers Jason