News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

VICTORIAN SCOTTISH SHAKO

Mervyn,

I agree that with the WD stamp it cannot be an officer's shako. As to the date of 1900 I think this may refer to the contract date and not the date of manufacture.

Officers' badges had gilt Crown, HLI cypher, Assaye scroll and elephant. The badge on the boss was also gilt and described 3 thistles.

I seriously doubt that they were worn during the Boer War.

Stuart

Edited by Stuart Bates

Hello Merv,

This wouldn't have been worn in the field during the Boer War. The HLI, along with everyone else, wore field order, which for infantry at this time meant the foreign service pith helmet. Sorry to disappoint. As I'm sure you're aware, Boer War field-worn items are insanely rare, Frankly, I'd wouldn't be caught wearing one of these out fighting Boers, I'd be liable to be shot first!

On another note, anybody heard the song "Eight Battalion HLI Crossing the Rhine?" At least, I think that's the right battalion number... Good tune.

~TS

Hi - TS. My, - you were a ''busy little bee '' yesterday. Obviously catching-up and thats good - brings back things that get buried. Yes, I did appreciate that it a dress shako - but it dates from the period of the Boer War. I thought for it's age it was in remarkable condition.

Mervyn