News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Lesotho

Megan

Most Dignified Order of Moshoeshoe

Also called 'Order of Dignity'

Instituted 1972 and awarded in recognition of extraordinary merit in a single class.

Here is the badge:

Hello Megan

Thanks for posting these interesting pictures.

This secondary title of "Order of Dignity" is bogus, pure invention out of thin air by Werlich. The same goes for all the other Lesotho orders. He had no understanding of the Sotho heritage and the cultural or historical origins of the names of the orders ,so decided to re-christened them by playing about with the motto inscribed in English round the centres of the badges and stars.

Cheers,

James

Hello, James - hence the "also called" and use of quotes... someone who has heard of it under that name will at least be able to find it smile.gif

Seems a mite daft to be perpetuating nonsense. Most people are willing to learn, even if they have known something to be X and it turns out to be Y.

I would imagine that a far larger number of folk go about thinking on order is a medal, so perhaps you should think about adding "or medal" after the word order everywhere on your website!

Cheers

James

Hello Megan. I've been enjoying your posts on the different medals and awards - particularly for the African States - which I obviously know well. Some are much better made than others - but, nearly all perpetuate the African desire to have their head on something - thinking about that statement, does the Queen feel that way - or, is she merely continuing tradition ?

I am curious about how some of these smaller states - for example, Lesotho (the old Basutoland - home of the Ba-Sothos ) which is probably smaller than Hampshire - go about creating a range of awards. Would companies approach them - or, would they be recommended to go to a specific medal house ? Do the medal people offer a service incl. the creation and design - and does that mean, in fact, that some unknown clerk in a back room in Europe, is creating 'history'. We take things for granted - but someone has to create them !

Several companies - Spinks and Bertrand to name a couple - advertise that they provide a design and manufacture service. So some jeweller somewhere is responsible for creating the design, probably to a design brief and certainly with the customer country's approval. A master goldsmith of my acquaintance has sent some glorious pictures of orders that he has made... although I don't know if he came up with the original designs.

Most Courteous Order of Lesotho

Instituted in 1972, and awarded for meritorious service by citizens of Lesotho and by foreigners in 3 classes (Grand Commander, Commander and Officer).

This is the original 1972 design, the Lesotho government has a bit of a tendency to fiddle with designs so it may well not be the current one. Anyone know?

This is the Grand Commander badge:

I know of one production company that has a small design team who 'tout' for business by going to people with new designs and suggestions for new orders and medals where they judge a gap in the market to exist. Sometimes not new decorations but the redesign of existing decorations which have been around for some years. This does not simply apply to actual nations, but also provinces, pretenders and the like.

I believe that much of the proliferation of decorations in Malaysia has been due to this succesful policy. Though outsiders may judge that in this case it has been a little too succesful and may have past saturation point by several years. Once all the states were saturated, they started on the federal territory, the scount movement, the local branch of the order of st john, etc.

Their modus is to provide the designs free on the basis that they have first crack of the production. What usually seems to happen is that if the new proposals meet with satisfaction, the first batch or so of production comes their way but later it goes to Singapore or somewhere else and the quality drops away.

Cheers

James

Order of Ramatseatsane

Also known as the 'Distinguished Service Order'

Instituted in 1972, and awarded for meritorious conduct in the service of the country by members of the armed forces and police in 3 classes (Knight Commander, Commander and Officer).

Here is the Officer:

Hello Gentlemen,

Here the Order of Mohlomi in Commander rank (it's a 3 Class Order : Knight Commander - Commander - Officer ).

This ribbon is the original one when the Order was created in 1972.

All Orders of Lesotho have been designed and manufactured by Skinner at the origin.

It seems that nowdays the ribbon is matching the colours of the flag of Lesotho (sky blue-white-green).

Emmanuel

Lesotho Defence Force Meritorious Service Medal

This is an odd one, with a completely different ribbon for officers & other ranks although the medal itself has the same design (just gilt for officers & silver for the rest).

Officer, obverse: