News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Badges for some slightly less scary people...the WO2

• Replies 95
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That could also be a possibility. Is it possible to post something that shows the difference between cerise and cherry red ? A lot of these subtle distinctions in facing colour are lost on me ! :speechless:

I got it around my neck - the Cheshires wore white backed badges but had a shade of red for the woolly - pullys that they wore them on.

I'm wondering about the 11th Hussars / Royal Hussars?

Edited by leigh kitchen

That could also be a possibility. Is it possible to post something that shows the difference between cerise and cherry red ? A lot of these subtle distinctions in facing colour are lost on me ! :speechless:

Cerise is cherry red. Same thing. Cerise is French for cherry.

Here are a few more badges. First up RQMS on a grey backing which I beleive is Army Educational Corps

Followed by an RQMS on white backing for the Royal Corps of Transport.

Followed by a curiosity. It is a metal version of the RQMS badge but is only about half the size of the normal sized badge. Does anyone have any idea on why it is so small and what it was/is used for ?

The grey would be Army Catering Corps (AEC - Cambridge Blue)

White would also be Prince of Wales's Yorkshire Regt & one of its predecessors, & Queens Royal Lancers & one of their predecessors the 17th?

The small RQMS anodised badge - for wear by females, perhaps on the wristband?

Edited by leigh kitchen

Going back to post 47 - The crown above three chevrons as worn by infantry Clr Sgts pre-1914/15 with SD & KD was the same size as that worn by the 'Sgt Major' on his cuff i.e. very large. On the introduction of the CQMS the crown above three chevrons was retained, but the crown much reduced in size. The CSM adopted the old Sgt Majors crown in the large size in bullion & worsted but slightly smaller in brass and only on the lower right cuff.

British Army rank can be a minefield in it's own right, due to the changes over the centuries. The ranks covered here are for Regulars, but the ranking for senior ranks within the Volunteers and Territorials are even harder to get your head around. Then you have to deal with '4' not '3' chevrons either point up or down depending on your appointment within the battalion.

To all,

To add some Australian flavour here is the cloth rank patch for Army WO2 worn on the Disruptive Pattern Combat Uniform (DPCU). The addition of AUSTRALIA on the bottom of the rank slide is recent. This rank is worn on the front centre of the shirt.

Regards,

Rob

Edited by RobW

And the same for the Disruptive Pattern Desert Uniform (DPDU). I am not sure why but this rank slide is a bit longer than its DPCU counterpart. Once again worn on the front centre of the shirt.

Once I track down the general cloth patches for General Duty Dress, Mess Dress, and Winter Dress I shall post pics.

Regards,

Rob

Edited by RobW

Here is the cloth rank patch for General Duty dress. It is worn on the top of the sleeve, not on the bottom near the wrist that was the case in the past.

When I can find some Service Dress and Mess Dress rank badges I shall post them as well.

Regards,

Rob

Edited by RobW

To continue in the diversity, here are some Rhodesian ones.

Pre-independance (worn until 1971-72), it has a similar design to the British badge, but on dark green felt for Dress.

It is to note that the Royal Rhodesia Regiment used the KRRC badges shown in post # 37.

Edited by The Saint

• 3 weeks later...