News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Army Paratroopers Badges-Engraved

This are fakes of the Type 2 Army Parachutist Badge struck by C E Juncker in .800 silver as a retail 'upgrade' for men who could prove their entitlement to the badge. Like the aluminium badges, there were three types: the Type 1, the so-called transitional type resulting from an attempt to rework the dies in the area of the eagle's talons, and the Type 2, which had a completely different eagle mounted on a wreath struck on the same dies as previously. They were engraved with the recipient's details: name, rank and the number of his award document or his parachutist licence. They were also engraved with the unit details. I once had a Type 1 aluminium badge engraved by Juncker in the style of its silver counterpart, which features on the cover of Eric Queen's book Red Shines The Sun.

The 1st Edition of Forman shows a fake. The 3rd Edition of Forman shows the 'transitional' silver badge named to Karl Büttner. In Büttner's case, the badge was engraved with his parachutist licence number, which was 68, rather than the number on his award document, which was 53. The pin is clearly a replacement. Given that there are less than twenty known original silver Fallschirmschützenabzeichen (H) in collections, there being twelve when Eric produced his book and a few more discovered since, the chances of finding one in the hands of a dealer or an eBay vendor are extremely slim. Moreover, the only firm that supplied the Army Para Badge during the Third Reich era was C E Juncker, in 1937/38 and 1943/44. If you're looking at a badge that does not confirm precisely to a known original, then it is a fake.

PK

A pleasure. Here, for eye candy purposes, are the three basic types of Army Para Badge: Type 1, the Type 2b, with the thicker wreath, and the Type 3 in feinzink, supplied to the OKH after the restitution of the badge on 1.6.1943. The same dies were used throughout for the wreaths, while the diving eagles of the Type 2 and Type 3 were struck on the same dies. The increase in thickness of the wreath in 1938 was evidently achieved by adding a shim of sorts.

PK

This is a rough but illuminating snapshot of the "transitional" type, a Type 1 whose eagle has deformed talons as a result of an ill-fated attempt to revise the dies as breakage in this area during the hand-finishing process was quite a problem. It is surprising that a high end firm like C E Juncker allowed these out into circulation but wonders never cease. Not only did some aluminium "transitional" badges find their way through the system into the hands of members of the Fallschirm-Infanterie-Kompanie and Fallschirm-Infanterie-Bataillon but several men who ordered the engraved silver versions received these too before the firm simply revised the diving eagle. If an Army Para Badge you are looking at does not conform exactly to the relevant type shown here, it is a fake.

PK

• 1 month later...

I think the screenshot posted by Eric came from a www.gunbroker.com auction some time ago. I think I will start a rogues' gallery of fake Army Para Badges, since people are still getting clipped by the various fakes in circulation out there. Keep an eye on the relevant Heer badges section.

PK

Just a side note: that is a Type 2a, with the same wide hinge configuration as the Type 1 badges. The Type 2b was struck on the same dies but had a thicker wreath with minor detail changes, including the hinge layout and the pin. I'll leave the question regarding '206' open. Bob: do you mind if I use this alongside other Type 2a badges in the guide I am putting together over in the Heer section?

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=40262

PK

PK,

These came off of Bill Shea's website --- this badge is currently for sale. I would ask his permission. I have his permission to use pictures off of his website for my own uses; however, I would ask him for yourself. I'm sure that he would agree --- especially in the name of educating the collectors.

Bob

• 6 months later...
    • 3 months later...