News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

WW I Iron Cross

I recently received my great uncles effects from World War II. In the box was a Iron Cross. One side of the cross has a crown on the top, a "W" in the center of the cross and the year 1914 on the bottom of the cross. The other side of the cross has a crown with the letter FW underneath the crown on the top of the cross. The center of the cross is a leaf, and the bottom of the cross has the year 1813.

From researching sites like Wikipedia, it seems that it is World War I Iron Cross. Is there any other way to really authenticate whether this is a legitimate WWI Iron Cross?

My great uncle served in North Africa, France and Germany during WWII. He came home and died in 1950 from his war wounds. As far as I know, his WWII effects stayed in the basement of my grandmother's house since 1950 unopened until she gave them to me.

Please advise if posting pictures would help?

yes, it is magnetic, and the ring of the medal is marked.  Also, the diameter of the cross is about 2.9464cm.

To be honest if you could post pickies, it would in all probability confirm one way or another with the collective knowledge on this forum. It DOES sound to be original.

regards

Alex K