News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Group to Swr./L.D./C.L.D./Nb.Ris. J.S.Sandhu AC

Brian Wolfe

Hello Everyone,

I know there is limited interest in the medals of Independent India as well as South Asia in general on the forum. I usualy content myself with posting images of my Indian groups on the Collectors Image Gallery (check it out when you have absolutely nothing else to do) :lol: This group is so facinating that I had to post it now that it has been cleaned and court mounted for the membership to check out.

First the medals themselves, from the viewer's left to right):

Raksha Medal named to: 3348170 SWR J.S.SANDHU (showing service during the 1965 war with Pakistan)

Sangram Medal named to: 3348170 LD JS SANDHU AC (showing service during the 1971 war with Pakistan)

25th Independence Anniversary Medal named to: 3384170 LD JS SANDHU AC

20 Years Long Service Medal named to: 3348170 NB RIS J S SANDHU AC

9 years Long Service Medal named to: 3348170 CLD Y S SANDHU AC (note the error in his first initial of "Y" rather than the correct letter "J")

Now to the ranks:

SWR means Sowar which is a cavalry rank equal to a Sepoy in the Indian Infantry or a Private here in the western world.

LD means Lance Daffadar, a cavalry rank equal to a Lance Naik in the Indian Infantry or a Lance Corporal in the west.

CLD is Company Lance Daffadar (see above but add "Company")

NB RIS is Naib Risalder or "Rissaldar" in the British Indian Army and is a cavalry rank equal to a Naib Subedar in the infantry or something like a Sub Lieutenant in the west. A Rissalder was also know as a Jemadar in the British Indian Army and is a Junior Commissioned Officer (JCO) in the post 47, or Independent, Indian Army.

Risaldar means the commander of a Risala (mounted troup) in the Persian language and is a mid-level rank in the cavalry and armoured units of the Indian Army. Risaldars generally command squadrons.

What is interesting about this group is the rise from a Private (Sowar) through the ranks to a Junior Commissioned Officer rank of a Sub Lieutenant (Naib Risalder). Not that this is unheard of but rather that it is not common for the move through the ranks to be so well documented in a group. As stated above he served through the two principal wars with Pakistan but the absence of combat stars would suggest to me that his role was more supportive in nature during these times. True there may have been combat stars that have been lost and what a group that would have made! I also found it interesting that his regimental number of 3348170 never changed even though he attained the rank of a Junior Commissioned Officer. Other groups in my collection that show a move up the ranks also show a change in the number which will then start with the letters JC. You can see some of these if you visit my Collectors Image Gallery.

I hope you like the group and I have not put you to sleep with my long article.

Regards

Brian

Hello Brian,

That's a GREAT group and explanation. There is a thread here that I started Titled "Medals of Independent India". Please feel free to add to it. I have posted almost all of my groups and some singles there.

:beer: Doc

Hello Doc,

I will indeed add to your thread, thank you for the invitation to do so. I knew you were one of the members who has an appreciation for Independent Indian medals. Bharat medals rule! :jumping:

Regards

Brian

Very nice grouping and definately not a subject i would start "sleeping" ... definately not!

Regarding the soldiers unit, which is it?

And if you know that, are there some kind of regimental histories or anything else getting to know, what his unit did, while he was serving there?

Thanks, and definately keep going!

Christian

Very nice grouping and definately not a subject i would start "sleeping" ... definately not!

Regarding the soldiers unit, which is it?

And if you know that, are there some kind of regimental histories or anything else getting to know, what his unit did, while he was serving there?

Thanks, and definately keep going!

Christian

Hi Christian,

Records are very hard to find regarding such history. I have a friend in India (Punjab) who tells me that finding out this infomation is impossible from my end and next to impossible from his. It's too bad as the Indian-Pakistani Wars were fought with an intensity not often found in post WW II conflicts and the history of these brave soldiers should not be lost.

Many thanks

Brian

• 8 years later...
    On 9/16/2009 at 00:31, Brian Wolfe said:

CLD is Company Lance Daffadar (see above but add "Company")

Instead of CLD  it should be ALD ( Acting Lance Daffadar) . This is Lance Corporals rank between Sowar & LD ( Lance Daffedar).

Hello anand singh,

Thank you for your comments.  I just checked the naming of these medals and the 9 year medal must have been impressed incorrectly as it is indeed CLD. Your suggestion certainly would be the logical progression in rank.  I will make the changes to my records.

Many thanks.

Regards

Brian