News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

MEDALS OF INDEPENDENT INDIA

Riley1965

I have a feeling I've posted these here before, but who could resist?

It should be obvious, but there are no groups amongst this collection; all singles.

Hugh

Hello Hugh,

Very nice display.Is your Nao Sena named ? It's the Navy Bravery (3rd from left on 1st row of indian medals).

Here I add mine which is an unnamed one from the early 50ies.

If you could post yours too,collectors could compare.

I know Ed also has one or more than one....

Emmanuel

Hello Hugh,

Very nice display.Is your Nao Sena named ? It's the Navy Bravery (3rd from left on 1st row of indian medals).

Here I add mine which is an unnamed one from the early 50ies.

If you could post yours too,collectors could compare.

I know Ed also has one or more than one....

Emmanuel

Thanks, Emmanuel,

Here's the poop on the Nao Sena:

INDIA - Nao Sena Medal (Navy), named to" N. B. Thapa, M. C. I., (E. R. A.),50529", VF

Satish Kumar, Delhi

I've done no research, and would be grateful for any comments. I only have a picture of the obverse, and it's a bit glary. I'll need to take it out to rework the display board one of these days.

And before you ask, here's the Vir Chaka:

INDIA - Vir Chakra (VSM) (Legend: Satay Mev Jethi - Truth is Victorious) named to “3334685 Sep. Sewa Singh, 7 Bn Sikh R. 24 Aug. 1949", EF

Curio Centre, Delhi, 3/92

HERE'S THE LATEST GROUP FROM INDIA.

1163377 NK-L/NK-Sepoy Satpal Semplay, AMC

Medals (L-R): Raksha Medal, Sangram Medal, 25th Anniversary of Independence Medal & 9 year Long Service.

:beer: Doc

Edited by Riley1965

This group was awarded to 6586519 L.NK./NK./HAV. GOPAL SINGH A.M.C. (Army Medical Corps). His medals are as follows:

Samar Seva Star : 6586519 LNK. GOPAL SINGH A.M.C.

Paschimi Star: 6586519 HAV. DVR. GOPAL SINGH A.M.C.

Raksha Medal: 6586519 LNK. MT GOPAL SOINGH A.M.C.

Sangram Medal: Unnamed

Sainya Seva Medal - Bengal-Assam Clasp: 6586519 NK. GOPAL SINGH A.M.C.

9 Years Laong Service Medal: 6586519 NK-MT GOPAL SINGH A.M.C.

L.NK = Lance Naik (same as Lance Corporal)

NK = Naik (Corporal)

HAV. = Havildar (Sergeant)

From his medals we can see that he served during the 1965 Indo-Pakistan War (Raksha Medal) and served in a combat zone (Samar Seva Star). From the Sangram Medal we know he served during the 1971 Indo-Pakistan War and the Paschimi Star indicates service in a combat zone. He also served in the Bengal Assam area as indicated by the clasp to the Sainya Seva Medal and was in the forces for at least nine years but less than twenty is this is all of his medals. It looks like he served as a driver in the Army Medalical Corps, Motor Transport. Whether he was transporting wounded or medical supplies to the front this soldier probably saw the very worst face of war, in his role as a driver.

This group arrived loose and I court mounted them.

Regards

Brian

This group was awarded to, 4439189 SEP. GURBAX SINGH, SIKH L.I. (Sikh Light Infantry). His medals are as follows,

Samanya Seva Medal - Kutch-Kargil 1965 clasp: 4439189 SEP. GURBAX SINGH, S.L.I.

Raksha Medal: 4439189 SEP. GURBAKS SINGH

Sangram Medal: 4439189 SEP. GURBAX SINGH, SIKH L.I.

25th Independence Anniversary Medal: 4439189 SEP. GURBAX SINGH, SIKH L.I.

9 Years Long Service Medal: 4439189 SEP. GURBAX SINGH. SIKH L.I.

SEP = Sepoy (Private)

Note the spelling error on the Raksha Medal and absence of his regiment. This is not all that uncommon on Indian medals as there is a problem with the names being in English and the engraver not being familiar with the language. As the regimental numbers are all a match we know these all belong to the same soldier.

From his medals we can determine he was serving during the 1965 Indo-Pakistan War (Raksha Medal) and by the Sangram Medal we can see he was serving during the 1971 Indo-Pakistan War as well. The absence of stars would indicate that he was not serving in a combat zone during either conflict. The Samanya Seva Medal 1965 is a general service campaign medal for military operations and replaced the former General Service Medal 1947. In this case the campaign was in the salt flats of Kutch and the Kargil sector of the high Himalayas against the Pakistani forces. The 25th Independence Anniversary Medal shows he was serving on 15 August 1972. The 9 Years Long Service Medal is self explanitary but from the dates of the first Indo-Pakistani War it is evident he served 10 years or more.

Research for this post came from the book, Medals and Decorations of Independent India by Edward S. Haynes and Rana T.S. Chhina 2008, Manohar Publishers.

This group arrived loose and the court mount was done by me.

Regards

Brian

:jumping: I really like the Medical Group!!! :jumping: I collect groups to medical personnel.

:beer: Doc

Thanks Doc.,

I look forward to seeing your medical groups when you get around to posting them. Until then here is the only other Army Medical Corps medal I have. I have a pair of medals to the I.A.M.C. but they are not for this threat (lets keep it pure :lol: )

This is a Sainya Seva Medal for those who are not familiar with the medals of Independent India.

All of the rest of the information is on the display card.

Regards and keep those post 47 medals coming.

Brian

this group was awarded to:

3946819 NK./HAV. ANGREZ SINGH, DOGRA R.

His medals are as follows:

Paschimi Star: 3946819 HAV. ANGREZ SINGH, DOGRA R.

Sangram Medal: 3946819 HAV. ANGREZ SINGH, DOGRA R.

Sainya Seva Medal - Jammu Kashmir clasp: 3946819 NK. ANGRAZ SINGH, DOGRA R.

25th Independence Anniversary Medal: 3946819 HAV. ANGREZ SINGH, DOGRA R.

9 Years Long Service Medal: 3946819 HAV. ANGREZ SINGH, DOGRA R.

Note the spelling error on the Sainya Seva Medal of ANGRAZ rather than ANGREZ. The regimental numbers are all the same so we know this to be the same soldier for all of the medals in this group. Spelling errors are not that uncommon as while the names are in English quite often the engraver is not familiar with the language and errors are unavoidable.

NK. = Naik (Corporal)

HAV. = Havildar (Sergeant)

R. = Reriment not "Rifles" as is often thought by those not familiar with post Independent Indian medal naming.

From his medals we can determine that he served during the 1971 Indo-Pakistan War (Sangram Medal) and from the Paschimi Star we know he was serving in a combat zone during that conflict. The Sainya Seva clasp shows service in the Jammu and Kashmir regions. Research into the Dogra Regiment shows that they were active in the Jammu and Kashmir region in 1948. During the 1971 War they served in the Punjab so this may very well be where this soldier earned his combat star. The 25th Independence Anniversary Medal shows service in 1972 and he was still serving in 1973 as that was the date the medal was authorized for issue.

The court mount was done by me as the medals arrived unmounted.

References for this short article is from:

Medals and Decorations of Independent India by Edward S. Haynes and Rana T.S. Chhina, 2008, Manohar Publishers

Bharat-Rakshak at http://www.bharat-rakshak.com

Regards

Brian

I wonder if any GMIC member has examples of the medals awarded to Indian troops during the Korean War? The medals were:

General Service Medal 1947 with bar "Overseas Korea/1950-53"

Overseas Medal/Videsh Seva with bar "Korea"

Pictures of these medals would be much appreciated. Kevin R Ingraham's excellent book on the medals of the Korean War has only black and white photos of these medals. Strangely, this book makes no mention of an Indian version of the UN Korea Medal.

Regards

Brett

I wonder if any GMIC member has examples of the medals awarded to Indian troops during the Korean War? The medals were:

General Service Medal 1947 with bar "Overseas Korea/1950-53"

Overseas Medal/Videsh Seva with bar "Korea"

Pictures of these medals would be much appreciated. Kevin R Ingraham's excellent book on the medals of the Korean War has only black and white photos of these medals. Strangely, this book makes no mention of an Indian version of the UN Korea Medal.

Regards

Brett

Hi Brett,

I only wish that I did. The GSM 1947 with the Overseas Korea clasp is VERY expensive and of course rare. The Viesh Seva with Korea clasp is also pricy, I had to pass on a group of four with one that was priced at $500.00 US as I was short of cash at the time, the rank was a good one as well. Looking back I think I should have drawn the money out of another account and purchased it. Oh well, no use crying about it now. :banger:

I hope someone has one to post.

Regards

Brian

Hi Brian

Many thanks for your informative reply. I have only recently taken an interest in the Korean War medals of countries other than the UK and South Africa. I had hoped that such medals would be cheaper and easier to find, but clearly that isn't so. I will have to think up a 'Plan B' for my future collecting!

Regards

Brett

Here's an interesting trio from Independent India.They are named to:

054498 K WM3/MCWM1 THAKUR ONKAR SINGH I.N.

His medals are as follows:

30 Years Long Service Medal: 054498 K THAKUR ONKAR SINGH MCWM1 IN

20 Years Long Service Medal: 054498 WM3, T.O.SINGH, IN

9 Years Long Service Medal: Unnamed

WM3 = Weapons Mechanic 3rd class

MCWM1 = Master Chief Weapons Mechanic 1st class

IN = Indian Navy

I have no ideas what the "K" stands for.

There is little doubt that this sailor would have had more medals than just the 20 and 30 Years Long Service Medals, I have added the 9 Years LS Medal to round out the group. So, other than his occupation, rank and the fact that he was a member of the Navy there's not a lot to tell about the man from this little group. It's still nice to see a group such as this showing the years of service. This is one of my court mounts as the medals arrived loose.

Regards

Brian

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

This is a new group of 4 i just got to the Defence Security Corps.The medals in the group are 1. Paschimi Star to 1013164 lnk Bakshi Ram D.S.C 2, Sengram Medal to 1013164 l nk Bakshi Ram D.S.C. 3 25th Anniv. Ind Medal to 1013164 l nk Bakshi Ram D.S.C. and 4, the 9 Years Long Service Medal to 1013164 l nk Bskshi Ram D.S.C.

I am not sure if it is a full group if it is i will court mount it.

Chris

Hi Everyone,

This is a new group of 4 i just got to the Defence Security Corps.The medals in the group are 1. Paschimi Star to 1013164 lnk Bakshi Ram D.S.C 2, Sengram Medal to 1013164 l nk Bakshi Ram D.S.C. 3 25th Anniv. Ind Medal to 1013164 l nk Bakshi Ram D.S.C. and 4, the 9 Years Long Service Medal to 1013164 l nk Bskshi Ram D.S.C.

I am not sure if it is a full group if it is i will court mount it.

Chris

Hi CHris,

This could very well be a complete group. I'd court mount them anyway even if I thought it was not a complete group. Why? I hate to tell you this but you are only the caretaker of your collection. Some day it will be in the hands of another collector or collectors. In order to be sure that a group stays together for the future I like to court mount them.

Can you post a photo of the group?

Regards

Brian

Hi Chris,

That's a nice little group and I think could be a complete group. Just a couple of thoughts.

You have them displayed in the correct order however the medals should be displayed and therefore mounted with the Indian National Emblem showing as this is the obverse side and you are showing the reverse side. The ribbon on the Anniversary Medal should have the orange stripe to left as viewed by the observer. Of course when the Anniversary Medal is displayed the correct way the medal's ribbon will be displayed correctly.

Now to the recipient. What can be told by the medals he recieved is fairly evident in the case. He served for a minimum of 9 years and he was serving in 1975 as he received the Anniversary Medal. This soldier was also serving during the 1971 Indo-Pakistan War, which was closely related to the Banladesh Liberation war. Before the war Bangladesh was know as East Pakistan. Now the part I always like about a group such as yours. the Paschimi Star indicates your fellow was serving in a combat zone during the war. Sometimes this is called a combat star, which suggests that it was awarded only for combat but it is actually for service in the combat zone itself. I still like to see a group with one or more stars.

While the conflicts between India, China and Pakistan were relitively short they were quite violent and the Combat service stars should not be "taken" lightly, if that makes any sense.

Anyway, nice group and I hope you do proceed with court mounting. That's a hobby in it self.

Regards

Brian

Hi Every One.

Here is one of my new groups which i have only had for a few weeks an MSM goup of five .I just love the MSM .The group is ny first India post 47 MSM Group 2014.gif. The group iof five is to the Signals corps.the medals are the

1.The Meritorious Service Medal to 6288237 HAV M Singh SIGS

2.Sainya Seva Medal with Himalaya Clasp to 6288237 L-HAV Mukhtiar Singh SIGS

3, 25th Indp. Anniv. Medal to 6288237 C-HAV M Singh SIGS

4, 20 Years Long Service Medal to 6288237 HAV M Singh SIGS

5,9 Years Long Service Medal to 6288237 NK M Singh SIGS

Chris