News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The British South Africa Police wore a normal cap - shown some time ago under Police. However, the African Police wore a shako (sun helmet). I am showing it in this section since it was a standard style, also worn by the King's African Rifles - and other units within Sthn. Rhodesia, Nthn. Rhodesia and Nyasaland. (KAR wore a tarbosh in full dress).

This example is in good condition for it's age , but is missing the lion and spear badge (anyone have a spare one ?). However there is a picture of one being worn. Inside the headband is his name and number - 22072 Mufari.

• 2 weeks later...
    Guest Rick Research

Any particular "reason" for a flat top rather than the usual dome?

In profile it is eerily reminiscent of an imperial German Jäger's shako under a Feldgrau cover.

• 2 months later...

Any particular "reason" for a flat top rather than the usual dome?

In profile it is eerily reminiscent of an imperial German Jäger's shako under a Feldgrau cover.

The Germans actually had a khaki tropical Jäger shako too! Stuart and I included in our book, but alas neither of us own such an example. I don't know how many were made.

Just being pedantic - but post . 5 - a photo taken 1957 but showing a Constable in 1958?

I guess you are from the digicam era?

Back in the old days photographers could use "Fast film", or "slow film" depending on what effect they wanted to achieve..

In Southern Africa they also had "really, really, slow film"... and you could get all kinds of effects, this being one example :-)

But my guess is, in the 1957 issue of "the outpost" they were showing the uniforms being introduced for 1958...

In Southern Africa they also had "really, really, slow film"... and you could get all kinds of effects, this being one example :-)

The irony in this Chris is that I missed this thread as I was actually in Africa when it was first posted. I was in Egypt and have been slowly catching up on posts that I missed. I just found a similar helmet for sale and was talking to Stuart about it, so my slow response has a reason... and you? :sleep:

Could his Force number have been - 1957 ? Peter , this one is for sale....

No! No! Photo taken on the 28th December 1957...

The photographer set his camera on a really, really slow shutter speed, told the constable to smile... hit the button... went for a beer.... and a week later thought "sh1t! I forgot about Constable Jones!"

When he got there the subject was still at attention, the smile now rather pained... and as the photographer arrived the constable did morse code with his eylids "Please Sir! May I now move!?" :lol:

But serious... I really think this was published in 1957, showing the new uniforms that were to be introduced in 1958.

I remember when we changed from Khaki to grey dress uniforms, the photo brochures were there with pictures months in advance.

Best

Chris

• 1 month later...