News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Belgian Hussar Uniform

Hello all,

I saw this Belgian Hussar uniform (misidentified as French) on eBay a few days ago and decided that, whatever it was, I'd buy it if the bidding didn't go much higher than it was at. I won it with one bid above the price it was at then, and I know now that I almost accidentally bought one of the uniforms on my check-off list: It's a Belgian military uniform from the late nineteenth century!

I know that by 1900 the Belgian cavalry had all switched over to double-breasted tunic, so this uniform predates that. Looking at some pictures of the Belgian military musuem, I can just make out this exact uniform in the background. The coloration is identical, and it seems that a lot of Belgian uniforms from this period used this pattern.

My guess is that this uniform dates from between 1870-1900. Can anyone help me give it a more exact date?

Thanks,

~TS

Also, I just realized, I don't believe this is technically a hussar uniform, although it conforms to that Europe-wide pattern.

~TS

rolleyes.gif Nice uniform! Do you have a close-up picture of one of the buttons? Thanks. rolleyes.gif

rolleyes.gif Nice uniform! Do you have a close-up picture of one of the buttons? Thanks. rolleyes.gif

Hello James,

I think these are the closest pictures I have. The buttons seem to be plain brass. These come from the eBay auction, the uniform's shipping to me now.

Do you have any more information on what it is? I know W. Britain's Soldiers of the World set no. 190, "Belgian Cavalry," shows this uniform. Is it pre-WWI as I suspect?

~TS

Edited by TS Allen

Hello James,

I think these are the closest pictures I have. The buttons seem to be plain brass. These come from the eBay auction, the uniform's shipping to me now.

Do you have any more information on what it is? I know W. Britain's Soldiers of the World set no. 190, "Belgian Cavalry," shows this uniform. Is it pre-WWI as I suspect?

~TS

Will have to wait until you have the uniform. I do not know the uniform but the buttons may help tell the story.

http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/after-battle/museum-royal-museum-army-military-history-belgium-4832/

A few of the cases in this picture gallery show the same pattern of uniform. See post number six. Who knows, maybe there's a member in Brussels who can take a look to see if this one's there!

~TS

http://users.telenet.be/ABL1914/organ1887.html

About half way down this page, it also shows this color scheme for Lancers. I'll have to look for markings once I get it.

So, I think I have a Belgian hussar or Lancer uniform, circa 1890?!?!

http://users.telenet.be/ABL1914/Cavdolman.html

EDIT: If I'm reading the facing colors list on the above website right, it is definitely 2nd Regiment of Chasseurs a Cheval or "Jagers te Paard." It also seems to be the pattern used from 1863 right up until 1914. Remarkable!

Can anyone translate this for me? "De dolman wordt gedragen als stadskledij tot 1914. Ten velde wordt hij gedragen door de ruiters tot 1891 en door de onderofficieren tot 1903." It seems like it says this was worn by enlisted men up until 1891, but, my Dutch isn't, er, existent.

Thanks,

~TS

Edited by TS Allen

["De dolman wordt gedragen als stadskledij tot 1914. Ten velde wordt hij gedragen door de ruiters tot 1891 en door de onderofficieren tot 1903."

interpretation and translation

The military uniform (dolman) was also worn when off duty (in the city, in civilian life) untill 1914. When in service the dolman was worn by the cavalry until 1891 and by petty officiers untill 1903.