News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

City of London Mounted Police

Seeing the recent post by Brian reminded me that I had a City of London Police pin badge which I have now located. It is for the Mounted Police. The badge is well made and measures approx 20mm x 17mm. The reverse has the makers name Jeeves Co Waterloo Liverpool who make tie pins etc for various police and fire services.

I understand it was planned to disband the C of L Mounted Police section in 1999 as a cost savings measure. I don't know if this actually happened. Either way I doubt the section was particularly large suggesting the badge can't be that common. Or am I wrong?

Odin - it would depend on the use intended for the lapel badge. Could have been sold for charity - may have been given out to 'drum' up support for the unit when they talked of disbanding (did they disband ?) or, when they made appearances at various events it may have been to hand out to youngsters. With all of the enamelling wouldn't have been inexpensive.

• 3 weeks later...

Odin Mk3

This is a 'charity pin' usually sold to raise money for a particular cause a common pratice within CoLP in the latter years of the 20th century and possibly still going on. They were created by various departments and by the Special Constabulary. They were sold by the hundred and sometimes given away to visitors. The mounted branch still exists.