News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Uniform of the Zuid-Afrikaanshe Republiek Polisie-ZARP

sabrigade

I have not added or contributed to discussions for a while due to work circumastances.

This is a recent acquisition to my collection and it has taken a lot of negotiation to acquire it.

It has been summised that the ZARP's wore the same uniform as that of the State Artillery during the 1880's as they were part of that force at the time.

In the early 1890's a unique police uniform for the ZARP's started to appear and this can be concluded from period photographs taken at the time.

In 1895, a contract was concluded between the Transvaal and the Company of Gordon Mitchell in London for the manufacture and delivery of uniforms.

The uniform in the posts to follow is an example of one of their products.

Edited by sabrigade

This forage cap was worn by the Transvall Foot Police. It is very similar in design to the British Pattern 1871 forage cap. The ZARP cap has a band of mohair braid and the badge consists of a monogram with the letters "ZAR" which stood for the then South African Republic.

The tunic was made from dark serge wool and is edged all around with black mohair braid. It fastens down the front with hooks and eyes. The epaullettes and collar are also edged with the same braid. On the right of the tunic collar are the brass letters "ZAR" which stood for the Transvaal Republic (as previously stated).

Will - welcome back, hope everything is well. Stuart Bates has been trying to get in touch with you.

This is an incredibly rare uniform and to have it so complete is really great. One query - Owen shows the white constables cap badge as brass and the african constables as white metal - not sure from the photo which material this is made from ?

Best. Mervyn

Will - welcome back, hope everything is well. Stuart Bates has been trying to get in touch with you.

This is an incredibly rare uniform and to have it so complete is really great. One query - Owen shows the white constables cap badge as brass and the african constables as white metal - not sure from the photo which material this is made from ?

Best. Mervyn

Hi Mervyn,

Thanks, we have touched base.

All the metal items on the uniform are made from brass.

Regards,

Will

2 men from the mounted police.

Hi Chris,

Any chance of posting more?

There are some good photographs available at the Museum in Bloemfontein which I have digital copies of.

I will request their permission to post them.

Regards,

Will

Edited by sabrigade