News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

1st AFGHAN WAR CAMPAIGN MEDAL

What you have is a glazed gilt specimen of the Khelat-i-Ghilzie medal which was produced as a presentation piece originally with a full group of Afghan medals in a leather case. The awarded medal is one of the scarcest of British campaign medals, I have the priviledge to own one, with only 932 awarded, these mainly to Indian and Afghan troops, the fort withstood a siege of 4 months with virtually no casualties. If you can't have an issued piece this is not a bad thing to have as it was produced at around the time (probably a few years later).

All the best,

Paul

Paul - fascinating, I've never seen one before. Do you think it was mounted - there appear to be 'bumps' on the sides ?

Bjorn - You should find a current value from Christie's or, Bonham,s and insure it if it it so rare.

Specimens like this were never mounted they were gilt and placed in glazed lunettes. A set of 4 in gold , comprising Candahar Ghuznee Cabul, Kelat-i-Ghilzie, Jellalabad Flying Victory and Meanee-Hyderabad, presented to the Duke of Wellington were sold by Morton and Eden, 3 Oct 2003, lot 583, having previously been sold at Sotheby's 2 July 1980. Specimens, as they were not issued to any recipient, tend to make considerably less than the awarded pieces, probably as little as a few hundred pounds whereas my specimen awarded to the 43rd NI cost many times more.

Hope this is of help.

Paul