News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

....too good to keep it in the box

...so I bring it to your eyes!!! What makes this picture so special for me is the Japanese Treasure in last place - I love the bars with foreign orders on it. Can someone tell me his rank or position please.... the photographer from Rostock was so friendly to put the year 1911 on the photo... enjoy !!! :jumping:

Guest Rick Research

He is a Marine-Stabsingenieur from the fuzzy black velvet collar. Could be one of the other technical branches (Torpeder-Ingenieuer, Feuerwerks etc) but the award combination says "Engineer."

Back after a peak in the Rank List.

Guest Rick Research

Hmmm... either retired between 1911 and 1914 or dead.

I find a May 1914 Marine-Stabsingenieur Hermann Arndt who had the Prussian awards and a "JV5" (error for JZ5?) but-- he was dead before the war started-- or retired without any wartime service.

Need 1911 and 1912 Navy rank Lists-- I have none between 1908 and 1914. :(

Guest Rick Research

Sooooo... doubters. :catjava:

Heinrich GAEDT, born 8 August 1864. China (entitled to "Taku" bar so interesting to see as early as 1911 he hadn't got the bar to WEAR) as Marine-Ingenieur on SMS Hertha.

Marine-Stabsingenieuer 30.03.08 B. Entered navy 01.02.84.

KO4, XXV, 1897, check, check, check. Japanese Order of the Sacred Treasure 1908, after that year's Rank List-- check. Got RAO4 1910 (check :whistle: ) and apparently retired 1910/11.

His 1908/09 Orders Almanac listing fails to mention his combatant China Medal and moits first name and date of birth. :banger:

Now this is where it gets WEIRD. He is NOT listed for ANY wartime service at all... :speechless1:

and yet I find him very much alive in 1938 as Member #1462 and "KK aD" of the Marineinegenieur Verband, living at Bismarckstraße 22, Doberan, Mecklenburg. Now THAT means he HAS to have been called back up for the war, served long enough to earn a re-retirement bump out as Marine-Oberstabsarzt-- and the Navy Honor Rank List omitted him. :banger:

Invisibility is no impediemt to a teancious Research Cyborg. Buwahahahahahahaha. :cat:

Hello,

I´m not sure about Gaedt! For sure it could be him but there is also another possibility!

Marine-Oberstabsingenieur Haböck had the same combination! And Haböck was also in China (SMS Brandenburg)!

Here Haböcks awards:

1901 Chinadenkmünze für Kämpfer

1903 Pr. Dienstauszeichnungskreuz XXV

1907 Pr. Kronen-O. 4. Kl.

1908 Jap. O.d.Hlg. Schatzes, 4. Klasse

1909 Pr. RAO 4. Kl.

1914 he received also Pr. Kronen-O. 3. Kl.! But the photo is dated with 1911, so there are in my opinion 2 possibilities.

Nice pic Heiko ;)

Best wishes

Karsten

Thanks Rick for all that great info.... :beer: thanks Karsten for all your compliments :blush:

Damn because my list, which I downloaded is not completly

Now Karsten, I could have said you that.... I had some guys for research where I saw missing orders in the list - great tool but not complete...

Guest Rick Research

Nothing is complete. Nothing. :unsure: Not even-- obviously-- the Naval Honor Rank List 1914-1918! :speechless1::banger: But you need Rank Lists--

if you are going to the Gunzenhausen show, I suggest you contact Paul C and have him bring you whatever you need most for Rank Lists on CDs. The Orders Almanac sometimes lists "invisible" things but again-- as here-- not always. :speechless: But I found Gaedt from a Rank List and mention in Müller's work on China.

Many many pieces... right down to Association address lists.

Gaedt was PARTICULARLY tricky. :catjava: