News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Letters home from Indian soldiers in France

I found this, quite by accident, and thought it interesting. Several of the letters marvel at the oddities of the French, who use dogs to churn butter and guard cattle. One comments smugly that his regiment was the only India unit to refuse Britsh bread and biscuits and so got "attah" [flour] and several more comment on the hospitals and medical treatment. Sadly, at least two mention the topic which apparently caused most concern to British censors: that no "sound man" would go home, only those maimed for life. This, rather than simply the awful casualities & nature trenche warfare were cited later in the war as major causes of unrest and declining recruitment among the British Indian Army.

The letters are found here: http://worldsikhnews.com/29%20April%2020090/World%20War%20I%20through%20Sikh%20Soldiers%20Letters.htm

A very insightful article, Peter, thank you for posting it.

So little is written about the contribution India made in the Great War. There is a little more written about them and their service in WW II but still nothing that really comes close to their sacrifices.

Regards

Brian

• 1 year later...