News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Tugra

TerryG

Thanks Guys. These are from my collection and only 2 are maker-marked:

Top row, 1st left is AWS and 2nd is BB&Co. The last on the right is indeed a painted one, the so-called Turkish made.

The bottom left is not marked so I am interested to read your comment about Godet.

I know Demir has a great collection of these so I hope he will be able to chip-in although he is far from his home and collection right now. Come on everyone, get your Turkish stars out!

Edited by TerryG

A thread? If you have the star in hand, please turn it around and you'll realize. ;)

I'm not sure I understand your statement. Do you mean that the impression in the back is the same, but concave, of the Tugra image on the front? The shape doesn't line-up correctly. I don't believe the impression made into the back of the TWM is the negative mold image of the Sultan signature (Tugra) from the front.

Is this what you meant?

Guest Rick Research

It is far easier-- and simpler-- to identify makers by patterns under the enamel and the edges of the star itself than for any of us to "read" what unfortunately look like anatomical sections of a snail and a partially developed egg turning into a chicken. :speechless1:

It is far easier-- and simpler-- to identify makers by patterns under the enamel and the edges of the star itself than for any of us to "read" what unfortunately look like anatomical sections of a snail and a partially developed egg turning into a chicken. :speechless1:

True-

BUT as some of these were multipiece construction, the Tughra may also give a clue as to "parts" used. This is obscure to be sure, but nontheless, may be a useful clue.

THANK YOU TERRY,

LOVELY TOPIC.

AS YOU SAY I AM STILL AWAY FROM HOME BUT I USED THE PICTURES IN MY LAPTOP AND ALSO USED THE PICTURES POSTED BY GMIC FRIENDS (THANKS).

I WILL TRY TO UPLOAD THE TWMs BY DIFFERENT MANUFACTURERS GIVING THEIR NAMES AND "TUGRA"s AND REVERSES.

PLEASE SEE THAT THE BASE ENAMEL DIFFERENCES BETWEEN THE MANUFACTURERS. ALSO NOTICE THE DIFFERENCES BETWEEN TWMs MADE BY THE SAME MANUFACTURER.

CHECK THE DIFFERENCES IN BB&Co. AND OTHER MANUFACTURES TUGRAS AND "EL GAZI" SIGNS.

I HOPE THIS WILL HELP.

ALL THE BEST :beer:

demir

TWM MANUFACTURER NAME:

AWS

Edited by demir