News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

• Replies 98
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi guys!

Andrei, great collection! :cheers: I would like to see some of those close-up for better looks.

Peter,

I don't know, the back certainly looks legit but, the front details not only look really soft but, the quality looks pretty poorly executed IMO. I originally thought it might be one of these below but, the coastline width under the wreath is definately different.

Tim

Hi Tim...I agree, certainly a weak stamping, although I did show it to Pascal who considers it original.

I meant to say regarding the new Krim book. worth buying but I wouldn't call it a 'complete work' on the Krim shield. It certainly misses a few makers out. In fact, I'm sure the 3 Deumers Sacha shows in his book are all from the same Die stamp (the flaw looks to be there in all the pics).

Here's a sample page...Peter

Edited by Peter Baillie

Hi Tim...I agree, certainly a weak stamping, although I did show it to Pascal who considers it original.

I meant to say regarding the new Krim book. worth buying but I wouldn't call it a 'complete work' on the Krim shield. It certainly misses a few makers out. In fact, I'm sure the 3 Deumers Sacha shows in his book are all from the same Die stamp (the flaw looks to be there in all the pics).

Here's a sample page...Peter

Hi Peter!

Hey, is this the same comparison I'm doing on the other thread "A New Krim"? I assume this is out of Weber's new book?

Tim

Edited by Tim B

Really!? :unsure: Boy, I don't know about that one. I have seen some pretty nice looking shields that were supposedly copies and not copies of existing known shields, but completely different designs, but they were nice strikes. Why make a shield in such poor quality-strikewise?

This one sort of reminds me of the shields shown in Weber's older book (pgs: 36 & 50). Though, I thought he now attributes one or both to Souval???

Tim

Edited by Tim B

Peter,

I think that shield you posted (Jamie Cross right) is the same as the one in Webers book 1.15 Unknown Maker. To me it just looks like a week strike or the die is just about kaput but I do think it is one and the same. The eagles head looks a bit different than the photos in the book but then I just took delivery of the supposed Souval type and when you look under a loop at the eagles head it is different than the photo portrays it (shadows etc) The only thing that I can see different is the number 2 on 1942 but again maybe the picture. Have a look at that shield and compare it to the one in Webers book. Pay particular attention to the tip of the left arm on the swastika.....I think this is maybe a die fault and the one you have shown (I assume it is yours) and the one in webers book is the same. I think it is genuine for sure.

And Tim that is the comparison page we were talking about but gee its actually readable where as mine is all gobblygook (no offence meant to any German speaking collectors) :D

Hi Phil,

Yes, the "2" is most noteable, but also the "9" in 1941 and the both the "4" and "2" in 1942 appear very odd (mishapened) and almost look like they were hand manipulated IMO. These are the biggest concern for me.

Peter may know more on this one having it in-hand(?)

Interesting on the Orth/Unk shield write-up. Appears I am not too far off the mark noting the differences, but does Weber really go on to make an actual connection to the two? I don't get that based just on the page Peter posted.

:beer:

Tim

Andrei,

Okay, lots of shields posted and my eyes are not as young or as good as Phil's are. Some comments/questions on those you posted.

Again, you have some real beauties. :jumping:

- I'm still undecided on the zinc Deumer you show in post #49. Just have too many doubts at this point.

- You show a Wurster shield in post #53 that is the first Wurster with the needle style pins that I remember seeing. Everything looks spot on to me. :cheers:

- Can you show the Wurster in post #54 a little larger? It may be the shadows in the PIC that makes it look odd, but the head looks very different on this one compared to the other Wursters you have.

- You have a few unknown makers back to back and I assume you have more than just one or two of some of these shields as they look the same to me (?)

- In post #65, you show an unknown maker and I believe it to be the same type of shield I posted a PIC of in post #68. As far as I know, this is the only one with the larger holes in the backplate. The one you posted looks a bit different in the head, but again, it may be the PIC. Can you post a larger shot of this one as well? This is one that I am after and recently missed a rather nice one with the backing cloth and paper still on it. :banger:

Anyway, thanks again for posting all those and joining the discussion. :beer:

Tim

Edited by Tim B