News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

What do we have here?

alex82

Once again I seek the expertise of this Forum!

This came to my collection recently and the French dealer hadn't much information, it is obvious Vietnamese and pre 1975.

I also mentioned that it looks a bit like the National Order of Vietnam from which I read also exists a Grand Cross.

Could this be the Grand Cross of the Order of Vietnam?? (I didn't found a picture of a Grand Cross anywhere)

Thank you

a l e x

The breast star was the same for first and second class. The first class included a sash and badge; the second class was the star alone. The first class set I acquired in Vietnam were housed in long caes, without fitted pads to hold the badge and star (i.e., the star was just tucked into the case to rattle around unhindered). The second class stars were individually cased.

Hello Gentlemen

Thank you very much for your help, I'm very excited to have proof that this is actually the breast star!

So, I have a few additional questions now:

- So you think this is the 2th Class star because of the Box?

- Is there any chance to date this medal?

- I'm just curious, is this a rare medal and has some value? I just ask because the dealer didn't actually knew what he sold, and I didn't pay much for it.

Here is a Picture of the Box opened

Probably made in the late 1960s, but difficult to date precisely. These were made by private manufacturers, so quality varied. The strikes I saw in the 1971-1972 period had no detail at all on the back. Early (1950s), French-made pieces often had some detail mirroring the design of the golden arms on the front. There is substantial interest in Republic of Vietnam awards here in the US (both among veterans of the Vietnam War and among Vietnamese who came here as refugees). There is also interest in France. The last breast star like this I sold went for US$750.

Hello Gentlemen,

This is a breast star of National Order of Vietnam french made in silver gilt (hallmark on pin).

You will see on next picture the reverse and what wrote Jeff Floyd about reverse mirroring some of the obverse.

And yes there have existed variation in size & quality and recently some fake have surfaced of very very poor quality.

A good reference on Vietnam Republic is the book of John Sylvester Jr.

Mine is 92 x 95 millimeters for a weight of 112 grammes.

What is the weight of yours ?

Emmanuel

Emmanuel thank you very much for sharing your medal and knowledge

Mine is a bit lighter; 102gr but also 92x95mm.

AND there is a hallmark as well, I tried to take a picture of it…

does this maybe say something about the manufacture-time or manufacturer??

do you also have a case for your medal?

cheers

a l e x

It looks like a swan or a duck, I tried to zoom in and make it better visible but my camera is to bad for the teeny tiny hallmark…

what does the swan hallmark say about the medal??

best regards

a l e x

• 1 month later...

what does the swan hallmark say about the medal??

The swan says: "I am an import hallmark from France". This hallmark is for pieces made from silver, imported from countries without trading contract to France.

Regards

Matthias