News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

RHODESIAN BSAP FIELD UNIFORM

we recently acquired this full field uniform for a sub-inspector in the British South Africa Police. The cap badge is for the period 1933 - 1945, so may not be exactly the right one for the tunic - which apperas to be UDI period - 1965-80. Came complete with the shorts (Bombay Bloomers ! ) and the canvas puttees (dated 1941) - also a Mk 1907 Bayonet - I suspect even the officers were carrying a rifle and bayonet in the bush. The buttons and epaulette titles are detachable for washing.

• 1 year later...

we recently acquired this full field uniform for a sub-inspector in the British South Africa Police. The cap badge is for the period 1933 - 1945, so may not be exactly the right one for the tunic - which apperas to be UDI period - 1965-80. Came complete with the shorts (Bombay Bloomers ! ) and the canvas puttees (dated 1941) - also a Mk 1907 Bayonet - I suspect even the officers were carrying a rifle and bayonet in the bush. The buttons and epaulette titles are detachable for washing.

You are right about the cap badge however the cap is correct. The uniform is what we called a Summer Uniform, not worn with puttees, but with either socks long and police issue brown shoes or Leather leggings and boots also worn with the jodpurs for motorcycle or horses.

Thankyou Patch (first Name?) and welcome to GMIC. You are obviously exBSAP and it will be great if you give us some first hand experiences and also more details on dress. People often forget that a Forum such as GMIC is laying down a groundwork for future generations. Will collectors in 50 years time know that ankle webbing was not worn with the Summer uniform ? Doesn't seem important and yet we can go back 100/150 years and know exactly the dress code. Future generations will remember today's soldiers only wearing those awful camo sets. Mervyn

Mervyn,

I'm surprised that you don't have a copy of the book on the uniforms of the BSAP, it has colour plates showing the uniforms through the years. I was told this was a standard reference work on the subject and given your location would expect it wouldn't be difficult to find a copy.

A BSAP collector should be able to supply the details of it's title, I don't own a copy so can't give the ISBN or correct title, but I can probably find out. Copies have appeared on Ebay recently.

Best Regards,

Les

Thankyou Les and Stuart. Yes, I probably do have a copy of this fine ref. book - I also find Dudley Wall's books on the different units, invaluable. However, with the volume of material that comes-in I don't have time to check every detail. This uniform had the various items that I listed - and that it is how it will be sold. Now, that I know the Summer uniform didn't use the canvas puttees they must have just been packed together - ah ! but were they ? These men were operating in very dense bush and thorn trees and bushes are prevalent all over Sthn. Africa. Perhaps he preferred the canvas ones to protect his legs from thorns - and , particularly snakes ? I know I would. Patch - what do you think ?

( Les - on a personal note - are you O.K. ? I will post some more hats soon.)