News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Who would have thought...but then why not?

There is so much more to this conflict than is reflected in the history books of my youth. In fact I don't believe there was any mention of the Boer War in the history text books in any of the schools I attended. Of course I wasn't always paying that much attention. :shame:

Regards

Brian

Quite a few Irish served with the Boers under the command of Major John MacBride. MacBride was later executed by the British after the 1916 Rising in Dublin even though he had only played a minor part, most likely they had not forgotten his earlier hostility towards them. MacBride is also noteworthy since he married Maud Gonne, who was the unrequited love of W B Yeats and the inspiration for much of his earlier poems. Their son, Sean MacBride was an active republican who went on to be a founder of Amnesty International.

I would love to know if there is a published list of the Irish individuals who served with the Boers since many of them later played a part in the Irish Volunteers.

• 1 year later...

Quite a few Irish served with the Boers under the command of Major John MacBride. MacBride was later executed by the British after the 1916 Rising in Dublin even though he had only played a minor part, most likely they had not forgotten his earlier hostility towards them. MacBride is also noteworthy since he married Maud Gonne, who was the unrequited love of W B Yeats and the inspiration for much of his earlier poems. Their son, Sean MacBride was an active republican who went on to be a founder of Amnesty International.

I would love to know if there is a published list of the Irish individuals who served with the Boers since many of them later played a part in the Irish Volunteers.

Check out this book.....

WEST POINTER WITH THE BOERS, A, Col. J. Y. F. Blake, Irish Brigade, Angel Guardian, 1903

Mike