News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

WW2 Foresters battle dress

The arm badge is the famous jerboa emblem of the 7th Armoured Divison, the "Desert Rats" who helped chase Rommel's Africa Korps out of North Africa. However, it doesn't look as if the 1st Foresters served there, so its a bit of a puzzle. This black version was worn by the 4th Armoured Brigade of the 7th Div. However, the infantry component of the 4th was the 1st King's Royal Rifle Corps, not the Foresters.

Here's some info. from a history of the Foresters in WWII:

"Our fortunes turned with the 8th Army's victory at El Alamein in November 1942. The 14th Battalion took part with distinction in this battle. It had been originally formed as the 50th Battalion in 1940, but was renumbered after a few months and then, in July 1942, had been converted to a motor battalion. In January 1943, the 2/5th Battalion, by now renamed the 5th Battalion, joined the 1st British Army in Tunisia and was followed shortly by the 2nd Battalion."

Perhaps your QM Sergeant had been in the 4th .and continued to wear their badge, though I think that would be against regulations, or (more liklely, I'm afraid) some one has simply added some or all of the badges. There are other threads on this site about such things, including how to tell (sometimes) whether insignia are original or add ons. Is the thread all old? matching? 'sunken into' the tunci fabric?

Peter

Edited by peter monahan