News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Stahlhelmbund photos from my collection

Here I'd like to share with you some photos of Stahlhelmbund members from my personal collection. All of them are period originals.

No.1 Oberwehrmann or Stabswehrmann, one can't say for sure as rank chevron worn on the arm isn't visible on this photo being a portrait. The colour of the piping on collar patches seems blue to me, so I assume this Stahlhelmbund man was a member of Heimatschutz

# 2. Here we have a nice portrait of Battaillonsführer. According to the white pipng of his collar patches this man was an active member of Stahlhelmbund. Note the early-type NSDAP cockade that was allowed to be worn by the Kern-Stahlhelm from September 1933.

No.5 Either Oberwehrmann or Stabswehrmann, rank chevron worn on the arm isn't visible here. White piping signifies an active membership within Stahlhelmbund. Awards: Eisernes Kreuz 2.Klasse; Militär-Verdienstmedaille (Württemberg); Kyffhäuserbund Medaille; Kampfabzeichen der Ehrenlegion; Pro Deo et Patria 1914-1918 (???).

By the way I have a couple of questions regarding this photo:

a) What does "3" on his collar patches stand for?

b) What is the fifth award? In fact I doubt it's Hungarian medal.

c) What badge is worn on the left side of the Feldmütze?

I think its the Bavarian Red Cross merit order 1st class. It may still be awarded today.

Thanks for posting these pictures!Awesome!

Thanks for your comment! 

As for the award - could you please give it's original name and if possible an interactive link to read more about it? Initially I thought it coud be Saxonian Ehrenkreuz für freiwillige Krankenpflege im Frieden (1912-1916) but the shape of the cross is slightly different. Any additional info is appreciated!

I have much more Stahlhelmbund photos in my collection so if this topic is interesting for the GMIC society I'll keep on posting them :rolleyes:

No.11 Very interesting "postcard-sized" photo. Here we can see leader of the Stahlhelm Theodor Duesterberg (19.10.1875-04.11.1950). The photo was taken in Lustgarten (Berlin) on March 05, 1933. High ranking Stahlhelm officials are grouping before their meeting with Hindenburg that was held the same day.

Dedication on the back says: "5./3. 33. 25000 Stahlhelmer im Berliner Lustgarten. Duesterberg nach seinem Empfang dei Hindenburg".

Ironically enough, nearly one year later Duesterberg was arrested during the Night of the Long Knives and was sent to the Dachau concentration camp, where he was briefly interned.  

No.8 Any idea what's this cross?

Well, I had a look in my Red Cross book and its one of five orders, all of which are almost identical:

1.Lippe: 25 year years service cross for RK made by Godet

2. Schaumberg Lippe: same

3. Prussia: ditto

4. Prussia: 40 years cross

5. Thuringia: 30 or 40 years service made by R. Conrad/Weimar

..... all these were instituted @ 1922/24.

Thanks for the info! At the same time I've been informed it could be unofficial Prussian Ehrenkreuz für Kriegshilfe und Verwundetenpflege 1.Klasse. So now I'm completely confused what this award in fact is...

No-definitely not. The Prussian Kreigshilfe kreuz has sharp pointy "v"ed arms on it-much like the PLM. Your man there has rounded arm tops.

Can you get hold of the DOL book: "Ehrenzeichen Deutsches Rot Kreuz" (1989) via your library?

I can give you the #s to see therein.

No.15 Three Stahlhelmbund members - Feldmeister (left) and two members bearing the rank of Zugführer. Only one Zugführer in the centre is wearing the cufftitle and shield. Note that Oberwehrmann on the background doesn't have rank chevron.

• 2 weeks later...
    Guest Rick Research

The fellow in post #8 is wearing (quite correctly) the ribbon of the Prussian Red Cross Medal 3rd Class in his buttonhole-- regulations permitted this for wartime awards-- so that suggests his pinback award was the Prussian version.

As mentioned, this was a generic design for Weimar era local Red Cross groups, so without the center ring's inscription being readable, can't say which one it was.

Manfred Schemeit's excellent "Ehrenzeichen Deutsches Rotes Kreuz 1866-jetzt" (1989) shows quite a number of this shape.

No.18 Here's quite unusual photo of a Stahlhelmbund member who can be identified as such only by his Feldmütze. This man doesn't have collar patches, breast and cap Stahlhelmbund insignia, no armband or arm shield. It seems rather strange because one can clearly notice the early-type NSDAP cockade on his Feldmütze that was allowed to be worn by the Kern-Stahlhelm from September 1933. Because of that cockade it's possible to assume that the photo was taken after that date, i.e. after September 1933. The question is: where is all his Stahlhelmbund insignia? Possibility exists that this man was somehow enrolled into Wehrmacht and is still wearing his old tunic still without shoulder straps but with collar patches already sewn on. Or he takes part in some kind of military training for reservists? Nevertheless, an interesting photograph to examine.