News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

French miniatures

Chris Boonzaier

Hi Chris,

The miniature shown is in fact a civil one.

But about your question :

Miniatures are to be worn on civil clothes only (what we call in French "habit", which is a formal suit, but this "habit" is rarely worn today. They should not be worn on a tuxedo, which is considered as an "interior" cloth).

They are never worn on uniforms.

They can be worn by French and foreigners.

There is a precise code about this, but nowadays, it is less strictly applied...

Ch.

Hi Chris,

The miniature shown is in fact a civil one.

But about your question :

Miniatures are to be worn on civil clothes only (what we call in French "habit", which is a formal suit, but this "habit" is rarely worn today. They should not be worn on a tuxedo, which is considered as an "interior" cloth).

They are never worn on uniforms.

They can be worn by French and foreigners.

There is a precise code about this, but nowadays, it is less strictly applied...

Ch.

Hi,

thanks, I had never seen them being worn. Is there a website where you can buy minitures? I would be intrested t see what is availible.

best

Chris

You're welcome. ;) Just have a look at pics of French veterans being "honoured" in official ceremonies. They generally are in civil clothes, and some of them wear these miniatures.

Ch.

that is what confuses me, usually you always see French vets with fulsized medlas.

Every year on the 14th July at out regt they used to award medals to vets, for guys who had served WW2etc. all of these guys, when wearing medals, had the regular ones.

best

cHRIS

that is what confuses me, usually you always see French vets with fulsized medlas.

Every year on the 14th July at out regt they used to award medals to vets, for guys who had served WW2etc. all of these guys, when wearing medals, had the regular ones.

best

cHRIS

Chris,

When they are in uniforms, for a ceremony, they have to wear the regular size, "m?dailles pendantes". Miniatures are lot allowed.

When they are in civil, they should normally wear miniatures; but some don't have miniatures or prefer wearing the regular size.

Ch.

• 2 weeks later...
    • 2 weeks later...

[Currently for active duty, these miniatures are worn with the gala uniform only and are available on several supports. For the reserve , there are worn on the civil clothe during ceremonies.

Look at the guy behind the red beret.

I think that all the french and NATO medals are available at any "Ma?tre tailleur" shop, but the prices are generally high.

jacques

• 2 months later...
    • 2 weeks later...

Hi,

thanks, I had never seen them being worn. Is there a website where you can buy minitures? I would be intrested t see what is availible.

best

Chris

Hallo Chris, :beer:

the following bars with minitures are in my collection, the first is Belgian, and was obtained here in Romania last year, It has the following medals:

1 Belgium Inter-Allied Victory Medal-

2 Belgium commemorative War medal.

3 Military Decoration for Long Service.

4 The Commemorative Medal of the 100th Anniversary of National Independence.

5 The Civil Decoration for Bravery, Devotion and Philanthropy??

6 Order of the Palms.

Bar Number 2 is French:

1 Medal of Merit.

2 Cross of war 1939 with bronze, silver star and palm devices.

3 Cross sof War, Outside European Theatre with bronze and silver stars.

4 Resistance Medal.

5 British Distinguished Service Order.

6 Colonial Medal & Extreme Orient bar.

7 Combatant Cross

8 Liberation Medal with Liberation & Germany bars.

9 Wound Medal with two stars.

Now unless this guy was some super-hero-action-man, this bar must have just been slung together because it seems to cover every WW2 theatre of war !! The bar is designed to hold 8 minis but 9 have been squeezed on it. But as it ony cost me 45 dollars I think its quite ok :speechless1:

Kev in Deva

Hallo Chris, :beer:

the following bars with minitures are in my collection, the first is Belgian, and was obtained here in Romania last year, It has the following medals:

1 Belgium Inter-Allied Victory Medal-

2 Belgium commemorative War medal.

3 Military Decoration for Long Service.

4 The Commemorative Medal of the 100th Anniversary of National Independence.

5 The Civil Decoration for Bravery, Devotion and Philanthropy??

6 Order of the Palms.

Bar Number 2 is French:

1 Medal of Merit.

2 Cross of war 1939 with bronze, silver star and palm devices.

3 Cross sof War, Outside European Theatre with bronze and silver stars.

4 Resistance Medal.

5 British Distinguished Service Order.

6 Colonial Medal & Extreme Orient bar.

7 Combatant Cross

8 Liberation Medal with Liberation & Germany bars.

9 Wound Medal with two stars.

Now unless this guy was some super-hero-action-man, this bar must have just been slung together because it seems to cover every WW2 theatre of war !! The bar is designed to hold 8 minis but 9 have been squeezed on it. But as it ony cost me 45 dollars I think its quite ok :speechless1:

Kev in Deva

Edited by Kev in Deva

Now unless this guy was some super-hero-action-man, this bar must have just been slung together because it seems to cover every WW2 theatre of war !! The bar is designed to hold 8 minis but 9 have been squeezed on it. But as it ony cost me 45 dollars I think its quite ok

Hello Dev & Chris,

I'm afraid I have to agree that the bar seems to have been made up ...

As a non-French award the DSO should be placed as the very last one on this bar.

I guess it's possible to work out a possible career that would allow one to earn this combination of awards ... say, being a French soldier in 1939, then - after the French surrender - joining the resistance and, once liberated, rejoining the army and going into Germany with it. After the war, transfer to Indochina to fight there. And getting killed there as the award of the Commemorative Medal for Indochina is missing. A bit far fetched I would think but theoretically possible ???

No trouble with the price : the mini-DSO on its own already covers much of that :P