News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

EIIR Police Long Service and Good Conduct Medal

Guest Darrell

An excellent example Darrell - absolutely mint with it's original box. I'm sure you know that it was given for 22 years exemplary service. At one time it was also awarded in Australia, but I think they now have their own version. Do you know anything about him - where he served etc.?

I only got the exemplary certificate - wasn't in nearly long enough for a medal...

The Naval L.S. also looks as if it hasn't been worn - these are always very collectable.

I have an idea that the recipients police force is now stamped on the medals? I think mine, from 1982 has the name of the force on it.

I was surprised that the metal of a mint condition medal is as "attractive" as it is, because they're cupro-nickel are'nt they, rather than silver?

I think of cupro-nickel medals & I think of things like the WWII War Medal & Defence Medal, generally a dull colour, but the police long service looks like brilliant silver - or is it silver?

Edited by leigh kitchen

Guest Darrell

Guys, I'm 100% sure this one is Rhodium Plated. It's the exact same as most of the modern Canadian Medals. It definitely has an effect on the crispness of the strike as the plating tends to dull the features someone. Much more so than the Curpo Nickle or silver grades.

Edited by Darrell

Have just checked the copy of The Medal year Book that is kept in the study and material is shown as cupro-nickel. The copy is an oldish one that I keep here for ref. but I doubt they would change the metal. I think you will find that it is original polishing.

Guest Darrell

.... I think you will find that it is original polishing.

Hmm ... could be ... but like Leigh said, I don't think Cupro-Nickle polishes like this. It's a dull color. Just gets duller the more you scrub :) Unless they were Nickle plated copper ... which would shine.

Edited by Darrell

The changeover to rhodium plating occured around 1980, as the quality of the cupro-nickel used was deemed unsatisfactory. Some cupro-nickel medals polish up surprisingly well and hold their shine for quite some time. Unfortunately, the Police (& Fire LSMs) didn't, so the plating option was decided upon.

The pre-1995/6 issues were better quality than those subsequently struck by the Birmingham Mint between 1995/6-2007. The return of the contract to the Royal Mint, however, has (unfortunately) not seen a return to the old standard, and the medals look like cheap copies.

Guest Darrell

The changeover to rhodium plating occured around 1980, as the quality of the cupro-nickel used was deemed unsatisfactory. Some cupro-nickel medals polish up surprisingly well and hold their shine for quite some time. Unfortunately, the Police (& Fire LSMs) didn't, so the plating option was decided upon.

The pre-1995/6 issues were better quality than those subsequently struck by the Birmingham Mint between 1995/6-2007. The return of the contract to the Royal Mint, however, has (unfortunately) not seen a return to the old standard, and the medals look like cheap copies.

Tony, thanks for the clarification.