News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Pickelhaube, Leib.-Gren.-Regt. K?nig Friedrich Wilhelm III., Nr. 8

Dear forumites,

I would like to introduce to you my newest head gear acquisition: a Pickelhaube of a Reserve (Landwehr) officer serving in the Leib-Grenadier-Regiment K?nig Friedrich Wilhelm III. (1. Brandenburg.) Nr. 8, Frankfurt an der Oder.

The pickelhaube shows some wear but overall has a very nice "have been there" look. In the interior there is the name Kieser. Maybe is it researchable? I tried to look in my ranklists but I wasn't successfull.

I would really appreciate if someone would be able to help me to find this officer.

In the meanwhile enjoy the pictures!

Ciao,

Claudio

Claudio,

I have been unable (so far) to find any officer of that name who served in LGR. Nr. 8. No Kieser of Kiefer is listed as being with LGR. Nr. 8 from 1895-1914. Similarly no Kieser or Kiefer is listed in the LGR. Nr. 8 officers' Association list published in the mid twenties (which includes reserve officers). No officer of this name is listed in the register of Killed in action Prussian officers as being a member or former member in LGR. Nr. 8 either!

Regards

Glenn

Guest Rick Research

I don't think that is the ORIGINAL wearer's name, but rather that of a later collector/owner (God alone knows why people do such things)...

In my EXTREMELY limited experience, labels in spikes were made where a discreet finger along the lining split could easily reveal the owner's correct headgear being claimed at hat check or whatever, not hidden away where an embarassing fumble would have resulted in an exodus of gathered officers from some indoor event. So I'd expect a neat label say up in the dome of the body away from hair oil, not something penned in block print on the liner.

Hi Rick,

I didn't think about that possibility. But if it's so, what a jerk this fellow collector. He did also put is name on the interior of the front visor.... I would never do that; if you really want to put an inventory number or label you can do it much much better.

That's why I couldn't find any "Kieser" in the Leib.-Gren.-Regt. Nr. 8...

Ciao,

Claudio

• 5 months later...

Hi Claudio,

I never forget a name :P

One Offizieraspirant Kieser (Landwehrbezirk Celle) of Leib-Grenadier-Regiment Nr. 8 was commissioned as a Leutnant der Reserve on the 20th of March 1915 with a Patent of seniority of 22nd March 1915. As I mentioned in an earlier post he is neither listed in the list of KIA officers or the Officers' Association list but he did exist!

Regards

Glenn

Thanks Glenn, that is great news! It seemed to me also strange that an officer would write his own name so badly on the interior of the helmet, like Rick said that it could have been some collector's name, but it could be that his son or family member did it for him.

Thanks! :beer::beer::beer:

Ciao,

Claudio

• 17 years later...