News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Napoleonic Art

Bear

• 2 months later...

Hello,

I've decided to add alittle color to my collecting. I've been trying to do my homework on them and figured that I'll stick with the dealers rather than Ebay. As with medals they are highly reproduced/faked and with my limited knowledge would just lose money.

My first purchase is a french lady that is a watercolor painted on ivory c1814. I like that she is dressed simple rather than the Zaa Zaa Gabor look. Hopefully I'll get one or two military pieces shortly.

thanks,

barry

Edited by Bear

Thanks Michael

I have another on the way. A french officer that might be a Tirailleur-Chasseurs, Fusilier or Grenadier. I think he is wearing a Knight of Malta medal. I'm also not sure o his rank. When I get it I'll post some better pics.

thanks,

barry

• 2 weeks later...

She arrived this morning :love: I've decided to hold off on buying anymore documents since the darn Euro is so high. :banger:

thanks,

barry

Hello Barry,

May be you?re interested in this ebay item. He seems a serious seller with many portraits.

http://cgi.ebay.es/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIt...ME:B:SS:ES:1123

Best wishes,

Jes?s.

Edited by Moore of Corunna

• 2 months later...

Bear,

Your chap would appear to be either a belgian or a dutchman, as his decoration appears to be a Military Order of William 4th class.

Gold appointments and red facings on what appears to be a double breasted tunic might indicate Artillery, or if the red tends to an orange hue, might be a militia unit.

Yours ever,

David

• 4 months later...

Hello Dante,

Very Nice! The portrait looks like its on cardboard. I think the three main canvases are ivory, vellum and cardboard. It would just be a guess on the age so I'll leave that to someone else.

When I see a portrait of Napoleon I always think of Elvis. Do you prefer the younger hip Nap or the older bloated Nap. I passed up a miniature of the younger Nap with regret. I still visit the page and wish it was on my shelf. :speechless:

Here it is

http://www.rubylane.com/shops/virtu/item/416

thanks,

barry

Hello Dante,

Very Nice! The portrait looks like its on cardboard. I think the three main canvases are ivory, vellum and cardboard. It would just be a guess on the age so I'll leave that to someone else.

When I see a portrait of Napoleon I always think of Elvis. Do you prefer the younger hip Nap or the older bloated Nap. I passed up a miniature of the younger Nap with regret. I still visit the page and wish it was on my shelf. :speechless:

Here it is

http://www.rubylane.com/shops/virtu/item/416

thanks,

barry

Barry thanks, the ruby lane one was nice........cheers, Paul

• 5 months later...

Hello,

I just purchased a miniature portrait and I'm not sure of the period. I should get it in a couple of days for better pictures but just can't wait. This is a not so good internet photo. I'm hoping that he is wearing 1st empire uniform with a 1804 and late 1st empire Legion d'Honneur. :rolleyes:

I got it real cheap because of a crack in the ivory.

thanks,

barry

Probably First Empire. After 1815 the Bourbons went back to the old white uniforms for 15-20 years or so for line infantry. Old stocks were still used, esp. in the Carlist Wars interventions and in Africa.

I think they went back to navy blue after the Orleans restoration.

Guest Rick Research

I'd think more 1840s from the single breasted, closed collar tunic ? I'd expect open lapels from 1st Empire?

The two red ribbons stand for the Ordre de Saint Louis and the L?gion d'honneur.

The Ordre de Saint Louis was reestablished after 1815 and suppressed in 1830. Therefore, this fine portrait could be from this period... just after the 1st Empire.

I'd think more 1840s from the single breasted, closed collar tunic ? I'd expect open lapels from 1st Empire?

The gold collar is very unFirst Empire-ish, but the period 1812-1815 uniform coat was closed like this. It saved cloth and was warmer.

Perhaps even an 1816 portrait?

Edited by Ulsterman