News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

New british P1892/95 infantry officer's sword

My latest acquisition is a British Pattern 1892/95 infantry officer's sword by Wilkinson. It was sold in 1892, and would originally have had a brass Gothic hilt. It was re-hilted in 1896 as a result of the new regulations calling for the new steel hilt approved in 1895. The blade bears the owner's initials "HGB", and will be the subject of a future write-up.

Jonathan

Burton2.jpg

Burton3.jpg

Nice example Jonathan. What is the blade length and were you fortunate enough to get the field scabbard ? I've never really thought about it until now, but I wonder what difference to the price the Victoria cypher makes ? Edward V11 th. swords are generally regarded as having a higher price because they were only made for a comparatively short time.

Every once in a while a deal comes along, and in spite of ambiguous provenance, I cannot resist the desire to acquire. :) Just such a deal came along a few weeks ago. A dealer listed a nice British P1892/95 infantry officer's sword. The serial number dates the blade to 1892, however the hilt is that of the 1895 pattern. I was quite excited at the prospect of getting such an early P1892 blade and another P1895 hilt (I like it better than the P1897 hilt--its larger piercings make it a bit more elegant in my mind). Upon receiving the sword I noted that it had been cleaned with some sort of abrasive, and was a bit scratched, but still in quite acceptable condition. The blade has all the standard etchings of the time including the VRI cypher and scrolling foliage. The etching is a bit worn, but is still visible. The hilt was probably added by Wilkinson in 1896 as it is stamped "STEEL HILT". All in all I think it is a great example of an early late-pattern officer's sword.

Burton1.jpg

Burton2.jpg

Burton8.jpg

In addition, it is a Wilkinson and therefore numbered and researchable. The owner was even kind enough to have his initials put on the blade! And what a fortuitous thing he did, too, since the proof book entry is blank for this blade. Undaunted, I combed through the index of the 1893 Hart's List (accurate through December, 1892) and found all matches for the initials "H.G.B.". There were several matches for these initials, many of which could be excluded from the shortlist of candidates due to their branches of service. In the end two possibilities emerged; Henry Gerard Burton and Henry G. Browne, the only infantry officers in my list, and both serving in the Indian Army. I researched each man to see if I could discover if one was more likely than the other. I did not find anything terribly conclusive. However, Burton seemed like a stronger candidate as he was the only one of the two men to see active service, and in my mind such an officer would be more likely to jump on the bandwagon when the new blade was introduced in 1892. Additionally, the sword was re-hilted in 1896, the year in which Browne died. I was probably a bit biased because I would have preferred that Burton be the original owner since he saw a good amount of action, but I feel that my hunch is given more strength since the blade was sharpened for service. So for now I am satisfied that this sword was purchased by the eager Lt. Burton in 1892, several months before being promoted captain and while seconded for service with the Burma Military Police.

Burton4.jpg

Burton5.jpg

Burton6.jpg

Henry Gerard Burton was born April 22nd, 1863 in the "East Indies", the third son (of nine!) of Colonel Edmond Francis Burton, Madras Staff Corps, and Georgiana Burton. Burton attended King William's College from 1874-80, and thereafter the Royal Military College. Upon completing his education in 1881 he was commissioned as 2nd lieutenant in the Bedfordshire Regiment (22 October). Soon thereafter, on 24 March 1882, Burton transferred as a lieutenant to Prince Albert's (Somerset Light Infantry). He joined the 2nd Battalion in India, where he would remain for the balance of his career. 21 May 1885 he was attached to the 16th Madras Infantry as a wing officer. He had a very brief period of service with the 33rd Madras Infantry before being attached (i16 September 1886) as an officiating wing officer with the 4th Sikh Infantry, Punjab Frontier Force. In 1887 Burton left Prince Albert's (Somerset Light Infantry) and transferred to the Staff Corps in India, serving as Officiating Quarter Master with the 4th Sikh Infantry. Thus began his career with the Indian Army.

Burton continued to serve with the 4th Sikh Infantry as a Wing Officer and Quarter Master until 1890. It was in that year that he was attached to the Burma Military Police as Assistant Commandant. He continued to serve with the BMP through the Burmese conflicts of 1891-93 (Medal with Clasp). During his service in Burma he was promoted captain (22 October 1892). he served with the BMP until 1894 when he went on furlough. Upon returning to the 4th Sikh Infantry he was whisked away to help relieve the besieged Chitral (Medal with Clasp). In 1896 he was attached to the 1st Sikh Infantry. On 30 August 1897, Burton was 2nd in command of the 4th Sikhs and was granted the local rank of major. 10 July 1901 he was promoted to full major, 3 February 1903 he was made a temporary lieutenant-colonel, and 1 June 1904 he was promoted to full lieutenant-colonel (53rd Sikhs [Frontier Force]). Burton died of unknown causes in the Parish of St. Thomas, Exeter.

Burton's personal life--rather his family--is quite interesting. Burton was married at Cheltenham, Gloustershire in 1900. I am not sure if he and his wife (name unknown) has children. However, I do know that Burton is one of 9 sons of General Edmond Francis Burton of the Madras Staff Corps, all of whom served in the military and mostly in the Indian Army! General E.F. Burton was a keen hunter and avid writer, and authored several books including Reminiscences of Sport in India, An Indian Olio, and Trouting in Norway. By my count I have nine more swords to find in order to have the complete Burton collection! ;)

Burton7.jpg

Burton9.jpg

Sources:

Various editions of Hart's Annual Army List

History of the 1st Sikh Infantry

King William's College Register

Various issues of the London Gazette

Ancestry.com

My thanks to John Hart for his research assistance!

Edited by Jonathan Hopkins

Nice example Jonathan. What is the blade length and were you fortunate enough to get the field scabbard ? I've never really thought about it until now, but I wonder what difference to the price the Victoria cypher makes ? Edward V11 th. swords are generally regarded as having a higher price because they were only made for a comparatively short time.

Mervyn,

I have yet to take any measurements. The blade is probably around 31"-32" in length, and the sword is probably just under 2lbs. I am not sure if the VR cypher commands a premium. They are more rare than ERVII or GRV, but less rare than ERVIII. I don't place much value on the cypher other than that I try to keep my collecting within the Victorian period. I did not get a brown leather field service scabbard with the sword, but I am not sure it would have had one. When the sword was made (1892), steel was still standard for officers below field rank. It is possible that when Burton had the sword re-hilted in 1896 he may have bought a leather scabbard, but even at that point they were not universal (not even in India). I believe that the steel scabbard that came with the sword is the only one it has ever known. :) It does not appear to have been plated, so it is not specifically a dress scabbard.

Thank you for your questions and interest!

Jonathan

Jonathan - the amount of information you have gained for this sword and it's owner, is really quite amazing. Surely an example of why collectors need to do their research and not just enter into a numbers game.

I thought the engraving was actually in good condition - clear and not too rubbed. How fortunate he had his initials - probably a gift from the family on his Commission. As you say - now for the next 9.....

Just for fun, a few quick pics snapped at sunset (hence the poor lighting). Here are the P1892/95/97s currently in my small collection of Victorian military swords. In order from top to bottom they are a P1854/95 infantry officer's sword which belonged to Maj.-Gen. A.J.F. Reid of the Indian Army, a P1854/95 infantry officer's Sword which belonged to Lt.-Col. G.H. Neale of the 3rd/Middlesex, late of the Queen's Royal West Surrey Regiment, a P1892/95 infantry officer's sword which belonged to Lt.-Col. H.G. Burton of the 53rd Sikh Infantry, late of the 4th Sikh Infantry, and a P1897 infantry officer's sword which belonged to Maj. W.H. Wilkin of the Sherwood Foresters.

90s1.jpg

90s11.jpg

90s10.jpg

90s12.jpg

90s15.jpg

Robson, in Swords of the British Army, cites an article from the Journal of the Society for Army Historical Research from 1934 in which a correspondent recalls the that this pattern (1895 Pattern) served him excellently in hand-to-hand-fighting against the Dervishes in the Sudan, in a way that its predecessor could not have done. He does not supply an exact quote. I found a few nuggets in a few period newspapers that might be of interest:

P1897snip.jpgP1892snips.jpg

The Pattern 1895 Infantry Officer's Sword was introduced 1896 following the introduction of a new blade in 1892. The Pattern 1892 blade (said to have been designed by Colonel Fox, Chief Inspector of Physical Training at the Board of Education) was a radical departure from the previous cut and thrust blade of the Pattern 1845/1854 Infantry Officer's Sword. The P1892 blade is a wicked thrusting blade that has a dumbbell cross section for just over half of its length. The plated steel bowl guard of the P1895 offered superior protection compared to its predecessors and was to have either a 5 inch or 5 1/2" grip, depending on the size of the officer's hand. The 1896 order called for officers to re-hilt or replace their swords. Not all officers had adopted the P1892 blade when it was introduced, therefore some P1895s have the older P1845/1854 blades and others have the newer P1892 blades.

Jonathan - valuable information and I thought the cuttings were most interesting. The four swords together are impressive - any more in sight ?

Mervyn,

No more on the horizon at this point. I think that in order for me to get another P1895/97 it would have to have belonged to a very interesting officer (or be very inexpensive! :) ). I really do like the pattern, even though it is rather common and not as well-liked by collectors as earier Victorian swords. However, with four P1895/97s now in my collection I think I'd like to find an earlier sword--preferably something from the 1857-58 period.

Jonathan

Excellent sword as well as the collection and the research is so complete.

Well done. :cheers:

I especially like items that span time periods, Victorian to Edwardian as in this case as well as Geo V to Geo VI etc. This post was a most enjoyable read on my last day of my vacation.

Thanks for taking the time to post this interesting topic.

Regards

Brian

Excellent sword as well as the collection and the research is so complete.

Well done. :cheers:

I especially like items that span time periods, Victorian to Edwardian as in this case as well as Geo V to Geo VI etc. This post was a most enjoyable read on my last day of my vacation.

Thanks for taking the time to post this interesting topic.

Regards

Brian

Thank you, Brian! :beer:

Dan,

Thank you very much for your kind comments. These later patterns are easily dismissed as common, or less elegant than earlier swords. However, when given the chance to dig below the surface and uncover information on the men who carried these weapons, these common patterns become something a bit more.

Jonathan

Dan,

Thank you very much for your kind comments. These later patterns are easily dismissed as common, or less elegant than earlier swords. However, when given the chance to dig below the surface and uncover information on the men who carried these weapons, these common patterns become something a bit more.

Jonathan

Here here Jonathan!

Below is a P1897 I sold last year. It most likely belonged to Gentleman Cadet, EDMOND GRAY STUART TRUELL, who graduated from the Royal Military College on 7 May 1898. This date would be perfect timing for this officer to have purchased the Hobson sword. Truell was later assigned to service with the Mounted Infantry in S. Africa and the Connaught Rangers.

This P1897 is by Hobson & Sons, and was made and sold between 1897 and 1901. The steel hilt is very nice quality. The incised lines are quite crisp and detailed making for a particularly attractive guard. The steel guard and back strap have lost nearly all the nickel plating, save for a small portion where the guard meets the pommel. This portion was probably preserved by a now-missing sword knot. The hilt components are still tight and sturdy feeling.

The service-sharpened blade is interesting to me in that it differs greatly from Wilkinson blades of the same pattern. The Hobson & Sons blade has squared edges along the blunt section, while those on my Wilkinson swords are rounded. Additionally, the fullers are shorter and the cutting edge is longer. The Hobson blade measures 32 1/2" long and 1 1/16" wide at the shoulder. The fuller begins 1 1/8" from the guard, is a total of 12" long, and terminates at 13 1/8" from the guard. The cutting edge is approximately 19". The Wilkinson blade measures 32 1/2" long and 1" wide at the shoulder. The fuller begins 2" from the guard, is a total of 13 3/4" long, and terminates 15 3/4" from the guard. The cutting edge is approximately 15". The blade's etching is quite nice, and includes standard foliage designs, the late Victorian VR cipher, and the original owner's initials; E.G.S.T.. The blade has some minor pitting, and is very slightly bent out of line.

The leather field service scabbard is ruggedly handsome with its metal furniture. The locket is stamped "WYATT'S REGISTERED No. 20052". I am guessing this is a patented design, and the number refers to a patent number since this same marking appears on other field service scabbards of the period (mostly on scabbards for swords officers of the Indian Army, and also swords to officers of mounted infantry units). I think it also illustrates the wide variety of scabbards in use in thelate 19th century.

Trotter1.jpg

Trotter2.jpg

Trotter3.jpg

Trotter4.jpg

Trotter8.jpg

• 4 months later...

A few weeks ago I had the good fortune to attend the Baltimore Antique Arms Show. I adopted yet another P1895. I have not yet narrowed down who the original owner was, but there are a few finalists (initials are T.C.). :) This sword was made by Edward Thurkle, and was sold sometime between 1895-97. The 32.5" blade is a bit bent, but not too severely, and it has been sharpened for service. The scabbard is not original to the sword and probably dates to WWI.

18951.jpg

18952.jpg

18953.jpg

18954.jpg

18957.jpg

18955.jpg

18956.jpg

initial3.jpgdisc.jpg

Jonathan - a another good addition to your collection. Would it be possible to have the blade straightened ? I'm also wondering about the grip - was it originally grey and later faded - or, was it a light colour ?

Was there much at the Show - how do you think prices are holding-up in the UK ? Mervyn

Mervyn,

The blade could be straightened, although I do not have the tools or skills to do it. I am thinking about looking into the cost of having it done for me. I wonder if it would be worth the investment or not. The grip has faded with age and would have been darker when new.

I am not sure about UK prices (although the prices for Victorian swords were less than UK dealers' list prices) . The Baltimore Show takes place in Baltimore, Maryland, USA. Most items are American, and the firearms probably outnumber the swords, but there is something for everyone at the show. This year there were more Victorian swords than in years past. It was wonderful in that I could see and handle several very nice swords with provenance, but I did not have the money to do any serious buying. This P1895 was available for a good price and was probably less than it would go for on ebay. Any US collector really owes it to himself or herself to attend this show at least once. It is the largest high-quality show of its kind in the US.

In addition to the sales tables, there are always educational displays. I was pleased and surprised that there was one exhibit featuring militaria associated with the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879!

2010_03200065.jpg

Slightly off-topic, but since you asked... :)

Here are some previous discussions (from Sword Forum International) on the Baltimore Show:

2008: http://www.swordforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87884&highlight=baltimore

2010: http://www.swordforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99929&highlight=baltimore

Sorry, Jonathan - for some reason I had decided in my mind that you were British. What a 'dreadful' insult to a Yank (?) The Zulu table looked interesting - the prints are from the Illustrated London News of 1879 and the spears look genuine. Not sure of the significance of the Lee Metford or, the percussion carbine. The British troops were using Martini-Henrys. However, there has always been great interest from the US in the Anglo Zulu War. Was he selling, or, just displaying ?

Best wishes Mervyn