News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Air Despatch Group, Royal Army Service Corps / Royal Corps of Transport / Royal Logistic Corps.

The Air Despatch Group, Royal Army Service Corps was formed in April 1944 & within a couple of months had a strength of over 5000 men.

It was to provide maintenance & supply by air to units that may be cut off during the forthcoming Normandy Invasion & ensuing campaign in north west europe.

RASC Air Despatchers in RAF Transport Command aircraft were to drop ammunition, fuel & other supplies by parachute (maintenance), & the Group transported to airfields & loaded such supplies (supply).

Amongst the Groups activities was maintenance by air of allied troops in the Falaise Gap, at Arnhem & at Walcheren.

Post 1965, The Group was renamed to the newly formed Royal Corps of Transport, & in 1993 to The Royal Logistic Corps which was formed by amalgamation of The Royal Corps of Transport with The Royal Pioneer Corps, The Army Catering Corps, The Royal Army Ordnance Corps, & The Postal and Courier Section of The Royal Engineers.

47 Air Despatch Squadron, Royal LKogistic Corps s now the only regualr army Air Despatch unit.

Air Despatch Units, Royal Army Service Corps

48 Air Despatch Column

49 Air Despatch Column

1 Army Air Supply Organisation

3 Army Air Supply Organisation

Air Supply Training Wing

16 Coy (AD)

22 Coy (AD)

47 Coy (AD) (renumbered from 223)

55 Coy (AD) (renumbered from 799)

61 Coy (AD)

63 Coy (AD)

73 Coy (AD)

223 Coy (AD)

749 Coy (AD)

799 Coy (AD)

800 Coy (AD)

138 Air Supply Platoon (Cyprus) 1955-60(became ‘C’ Pln 47 Coy RASC (AD))

Air Despatch Units, Royal Corps of Transport

14 AD Regt

15 AD Regt

16 AD Sqn

22 AD Sqn

47 AD Sqn

55 AD Sqn

69 AD Sqn

Air Despatch Units, Royal Logistc Corps

47 AD Sqn

The original "47th Squadron" had been 47th Company of The Army Service Corps, a Horse Transport Company formed in 1900. 47 Squadron RLC, the sole remaining Regular Army Air Despatch Unit, is the direct descendant of 47th Company.

The Air Despatch Groups sign was a yellow Dakota on a royal blue horizontal rectangle, authorised in September 9, following Arnhem - durng the battle, 116 Ar Despatchers had been killed.

The insignia were worn in forward facing pairs on Battle Dress, Denison smocks etc, & latterly on the left breast of flying overalls (the badge which would otherwise be worn on the left arm).

Some versions showed a door in the side of the Dakota on the badge worn on the left arm.

There are variations in the shape of the tail fin, some being rounded, others flat topped, & there are variaions in the appearance of the airraft, a more "delicate" representation on a square bakground being worn in recent years - the badge is still in wear by The 47th Air Despatch Squadron Royal Logistic Corps (The RLC succeeding The RCT).

This pair of insignia are printed, the Dakotas having flat topped tail fins & the badge for the left arm shows a door on the Dakota:

Edited by leigh kitchen

During WWII Air Despatchers of The RASC wore a RAF style brevet, a "half wing" - a single wing, with the letters "AD".

In 1957 a new brevet was introduced (War Office Dress Commitee 1956) a Skill at Arms badge which was worn on the lower left arm, originally bearing the wording "ROYAL ARMY SERVICE CORPS".

The change of title from RASC to RCT in 1965 resulted in a badge without any wording, an interim measure being to unpick the lettering on the RASC version until supplies of the new badge were available.

Air Despatchers had to complete 40 training or 20 operational sorties, or a combination to qualfy for the brevet, & the badge could be worn after employment as an Air Despatcher ceased, officers who are qualified wear the badge, it's one of few such badges worn by all ranks.

Embroidered versions of The RASC & RCT brevets:

Edited by leigh kitchen

Very interesting Leigh - in fact all of these details and formation signs have provided good information. We tend to forget the old units so quickly - I particularly enjoyed the old Dakotas, apart from our members - who really remembers them and yet I believe, they were one of the highest numbers of a particular plane ever made. Do you have any info. on their numbers ?

Somewhere around 13000 - 15000 Dakotas were produced, figures I've read vary, Dakotas dropped over 4,000 paras during the Invasion of Sicily, over 60,000 in Normandy on "D-Day" & of course dropped paras at Arnhem, also towing gliders to all three destinations.

Some are still flying, not just as preserved individual aircraft but in small commercal fleets.

The South African Air Force retained the Dakotas at least until the 1970s for parachute courses, and the Rhodesian Air Force used them operationaly in the same decade as well.

The story goes that at least one RhAF Dak was used during Market-Garden.

I have one post-UDI Rhodesian ASC Air Despatcher brevet, I may scan and post it, if of interest.

Eric

Edited by The Saint

Eric - these items are always of interest - maybe not in great numbers - or, immediately, but they are the ref. material for the future. I certainly doubt that there are many left. This is why I have enjoyed looking at Leigh's various posts - not all are interest to me, but I can certainly see their value - and, only a dedicated collector with knowledge is in a position to know such detail about them.

No wonder nearly every post on GMIC is taken by Google for their sites. I think we must be grateful to Leigh for taking so much time and effort.

The South African Air Force retained the Dakotas at least until the 1970s for parachute courses, and the Rhodesian Air Force used them operationaly in the same decade as well.

The story goes that at least one RhAF Dak was used during Market-Garden.

I have one post-UDI Rhodesian ASC Air Despatcher brevet, I may scan and post it, if of interest.

Eric

Interested indeed, I don't know a lot about Rhodesian badges & only have a few but I have an interest in them.

The St Edwards Crown version of the Other Ranks RASC badge in gildng metal, the Royal Corps of Transport anodised version, post 1965, The Royal Logistic Corps anodised badge & two beret badges, post 1993:

Edited by leigh kitchen

As promised - the background cloth is actually dark green felt.

Previous to this pattern, the badge had a Queen's Crown in place of the 'Lion & Tusk', and lettering was 'NRASC' (Rhodesia & Nyassaland ASC, Federal period 1953-1964) or 'SRASC' (Southern Rhodesia ASC, 1964-1970).

Eric

Edited by The Saint

• 5 years later...