News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Kimberley Star group

Hello all - I recently purchased this stunning medal group of four on auction. By no means a bargain, but I was out for an investment and have always wanted to own a Kimberley Star. To get a really nice group too is a great bonus. The naming of the medals:<BR>&nbsp;The British South Africa Company Medal - Trp A.H. Rendell Matab Rlf Fc(which I assume is short for Matabele Relief Force).<BR><FONT face=Arial><FONT size=2>&nbsp;The Cape of Good Hope General Service Medal - Trp A.H. Rendell D.E.C.V.R. - with the Bechuanaland Bar<BR>&nbsp; The Queen's South Africa Medal - Trp A.H. Rendell Kimberley Lt Horse - with the Defence of Kimberley &amp; Orange Free State clasps<BR></FONT></FONT><FONT face=Arial><FONT size=2>&nbsp;The Kimberley Star - un-named - hallmarked "c"<BR></FONT></FONT><BR>Close ups to follow.<BR><BR>Regards<BR>Thomas&nbsp;

Edited by Thomas Symmonds

Close ups of The Queen's South Africa Medal - Defence of Kimberley & Orange Free State clasps

The Kimberley Star

Really close up of the Star's hallmarks ...

I shall endevour to add more info as time allows. Please feel free to add any information you may have with regard to our man A.H. Rendell, (Mervyn has already found him in the Kimberley Siege book - but listed as A.H. RINDALL , so name variations do occur), but information regarding the various regiments etc that are listed would be great too.

regards

Thomas

Thomas - as I said privately, this is a really good group and to have the pair for Kimberley and the Rhodesia Medal + the rare Cape of Good Hope certainly makes it an investment. The mint mark on the Mayor's Medal is for Birmingham 1902. I hope you get further info. from members.

Thomas, congratulations of such a stunning group! I've seen a couple like this, but they are definatly far and few between, especially to a Kimberly defender.

Cheers, and can't wait to see more as you uncover it.

Sam.

I am going to try to list the naming of the medals again - try to get it a bit neater. I don't know why, or where, the gobble-de-gook came out with the first effort ...

The British South Africa Company Medal - Trp A.H. Rendell Matab Rlf Fce

The Cape of Good Hope General Service Medal - Trp A.H. Rendell D.E.C.V.R. - with Bechuanaland Bar

The Queen's South Africa Medal - Trp A.H. Rendell Kimberley Lt Horse - with Defemce of Kimberley & Orange Free State clasps

The Kimberley Star - un-named - hallmarked "c"

I shall post photos of the naming at a later stage.

regards

Thomas

• 8 years later...

Thomas,

Sixty years ago while serving in the Royal Rhodesia Regiment I was issued on occasion with  one of a small number of 1897 Wilkinson infantry officers' swords in black leather scabbards with  black 'ribbon' sword knots.  For decades I have very much wanted to buy one.  I understand from posts regarding the late Mervyn Mitton's examples that you have one.  If so, I would be very glad indeed to make you an offer for it.  Please, if you will, get in touch with me.  My email address is magnus@magnusmcleod.com .  

My grandfather, GE McLeod, was in the siege of Ladysmith, and his brother, ON McLeod, was at the same time besieged in Kimberley.  I knew them both very well.  My grandfather retired from his farm in Rhodesia to Plettenberg Bay, and once in the early fifties when we were visiting him he offered to show me his Boer War medals, only to discover the box in which he had kept them was empty.  My great uncle Norman (ON McL) went on to command Settle's Scouts.

With my best wishes,  

Magnus