News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

ROYAL ULSTER CONSTABULARY

Very impressive and well beyond my limited knowledege of Ireland. I know most is spoken about the B Specials but is there anything written about the A, C & D's does anyone know?

In passing I watched the B Specials behaviour on TV when the 60's troubles started and when I was a Special Constabulary Serial Commander during the first Brixton riots I used it as an example of what I would not accept from my officers and I am proud to say they all behavioured themselves impecably even when stoned and firbombed.

Also in passing my Grandfather was deployed as part of the British Army in Dublin in 1916 and I have a friend who's Grandfather was on the other side and we often muse on what might have happened had either Grandfather been a better shot.

• Replies 63
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vickers - interesting that you were at Brixton - I missed that one and was always grateful I did...

The 'what-if' game for possible changes of scenario is always good - leads to some strange conclusions !

I have been waiting for the additional photos of the two earlier truncheons I posted. Can't say they show that much more detail - but, photos herewith.

Very impressive and well beyond my limited knowledge of Ireland. I know most is spoken about the B Specials but is there anything written about the A, C & D's does anyone know?

In passing I watched the B Specials behavior on TV when the 60's troubles started and when I was a Special Constabulary Serial Commander during the first Brixton riots I used it as an example of what I would not accept from my officers and I am proud to say they all behaved themselves impeccably even when stoned and firebombed.

Also in passing my Grandfather was deployed as part of the British Army in Dublin in 1916 and I have a friend who's Grandfather was on the other side and we often muse on what might have happened had either Grandfather been a better shot.

You mean the 1980s riots?

Speaking of the RUC and the related RIC, I found this photo today in a trash bin (no joking).

On the back is written:" Thomas Conlon" and in a different hand (biro pen) "Mary Sullivans' brother who was killed in the Irish Rebellion about 1916".

On the net I found that a Constable Thomas Conlon was murdered in Belfast in July, 1921 by the IRA.

Speaking of the RUC and the related RIC, I found this photo today in a trash bin (no joking).

On the back is written:" Thomas Conlon" and in a different hand (biro pen) "Mary Sullivans' brother who was killed in the Irish Rebellion about 1916".

On the net I found that a Constable Thomas Conlon was murdered in Belfast in July, 1921 by the IRA.

Not sure if this is the same Thomas Conlon ?

http://www.irishtime...36F345923379938

An official report issued from Dublin Castle yesterday states;-

A Party of Police in a tender on Curfew Patrol was fired at in Ross Road, Falls Road area, Belfast just after 12am today. Constable Thomas Conlon was shot dead and Constable E.J.Hogan and the driver of the Crossley, Special Constable C.Dunne, were dangerously wounded in the body.

Found that in the Irish Times Online Digital Archive which is again open for free to the public (this time until the 13th December) you can save them as .PDF for reference. The archive dates back to 1859 every single edition is scanned and online.

I believe this one here may be other references to the same Thomas Conlon

http://www.irishtime...06.html#Ar00600

& there were lots of others there too. The best online source of information possible for RIC, Auxies, Irish History. Also for European history it is fascinating too.

This was one article that caught my eye from 1869 - also Irish Constabulary though It relates to the Carrickshock incident of 1831, one which in my view was very important but has almost dissappeared from the national history;

http://www.irishtime...02:8713578B5369

Edited by gerardkenny

Those Irish Times links don't work for me I'm afraid - I think the news that free access is available may be premature! But I agree this is probably the same man. Abbott in his book "Police Casualties in Ireland 1919-1922" refers to the same incident (10 July 1921, just one day before the Truce)and that Constable Conlon 64016, who was from Roscommon, had no relations other than a sister who had left for the States some 2 weeks previously. He is buried in Newtownbreda. His killing helped provoke a week of rioting in Belfast in which about 14 people died.

Hi Peter - that is odd, 2 of the 3 links I posted work for me now on a different computer than the one I posted them from. One does not so maybe it timed out ?

This main search link should work for everyone until the 13th December ; http://www.irishtimes.com/search/archive.html

Since we have been adding to this thread , I am attaching some further pictures of Irish bog-oak truncheons. Also, an interestingly home carved truncheon in rings, which I am told came from the the area outside of Dublin.

The one above is a short version of what, is commonly, known as a 'shelaghly' (spelling?) - although always associated with Ireland in drawings and cartoons, they are in fact, quite rare.