News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Trying To Relocate Family MGS medal

An ancestor of mine Gunner Driver Joseph Siddle of Hoslcombe Company sixth battalion Royal Artillery, received the mgs medal for fighting at Carunna Ciudad Rodrigo and Badaoz. Something happened to the medal [sold , stolen ???] The medal was auctioned at Sotherbeys in 1982.

I would really like to reaquire this medal. He did live to receive it and died in 1858. Joseph served his country for 21 years and was discharged in 1825 because of ruematism and being worn out. Any information on how i can find this medal Heck any information would be greatly appreciated

Thanks Melvyn

As a start I would do the following : -

1) contact Sotherby`s and see if they retain records of who bought the medal from them. They might be willing to forward a letter from you to the purchaser, however he would obviously be under no obligation to reply. If they no longer have their records going back that far then you have a dead end on that particular course of action.

2) Go to the Dix Noonan Web website and put your ancestor`s name into the search facility to see if they have sold the medal post 1982 since it is possible that it subsequently changed hands again after the Sotherby`s auction.

3) Contact Richard Black at Chelsea Militaria and Chris Dixon at Dixon`s Medals and ask them if they have any record of selling the medal at any time. These are the two biggest medal dealers in UK, and the best, so there is always a chance that it passed through their hands.

4) put an advert in Medal News (published by Token Publishing) since they have a section for adverts where people are trying to find specific medals.

5) put a similar advert in the OMRS (Orders and Medals Research Society) journal.

Regards,

Paul