News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Buffalo Soldier...

If anyone knows of a ribbon.............. ;-)

Have faith-one will show up. I know of several good-old-boy gun collectors who have all sorts of tat stuck away in cigar boxes. You never know what will show up eventually.

Try a post on the wants forum at OMSA too-Fred Borgman may be able to help you.

Guest Rick Research

"Buffalo soldier" referred ONLY to cavalrymen in the American Southwest. A Black soldier in any other unit would not have been called that. What infantry regiment was he in?

"Buffalo soldier" referred ONLY to cavalrymen in the American Southwest.

Hi,

not according to this... they even wore a buffalo patch...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/92nd_Infantry_Division_(United_States)

I think he was 366... have to check my old mails...

Best

Chris

Guest Rick Research

"Buffalo Division" is not "buffalo soldiers." No connection by units, service, or "tradition."

366th? Ah, too bad. I have history of the 371st, written by my Sainted Ma's first boss.

"Buffalo Division" is not "buffalo soldiers." No connection by units, service, or "tradition."

366th? Ah, too bad. I have history of the 371st, written by my Sainted Ma's first boss.

Hi,

It seems to be a title they adopted for themselves then... even the history is called..

"Buffalo Soldiers: The 92nd Infantry Division and Reinforcements in World War II, 1942-1945 "

Their veterans assoc etc is also refers to them as "buffalo soldiers"..

I guess its like "Leathernecks" or "GIs"..... also a name kept over from the past.

They want to call themselves "Buffalo Soldiers"... let em do it, sometimes tradition is deeper than following the official linage of a regiment. When the 92nd was formed it was still A1 segregation time, and I bet a black GI in 1917 Alabama was very much aware that he was in the same position as a "buffalo Soldier" of earlier times.

Hi,

It seems to be a title they adopted for themselves then... even the history is called..

"Buffalo Soldiers: The 92nd Infantry Division and Reinforcements in World War II, 1942-1945 "

Their veterans assoc etc is also refers to them as "buffalo soldiers"..

I guess its like "Leathernecks" or "GIs"..... also a name kept over from the past.

They want to call themselves "Buffalo Soldiers"... let em do it, sometimes tradition is deeper than following the official linage of a regiment. When the 92nd was formed it was still A1 segregation time, and I bet a black GI in 1917 Alabama was very much aware that he was in the same position as a "buffalo Soldier" of earlier times.

Amazing PH Chris! One of the rarest out there. Do you have the print of the AGO card to go with it??

• 1 month later...

Chris, the term "Buffalo Soldier" was what the Indians called all Black troops. It was because of their dark skin and wooly hair. Also the term was first applied to the 9th Cavalry Regiment, and later the 10th Cavalry and 24th Infantry Regiments. From about the Spanish American War to World War 2 the term was stilled used for Black troops of any unit. Today it has become a tradition. I really hate it when people try to re-write history like the "Buffalo Soldier" website by Wal-Mart. As I understand it a "Buffalo Soldier" is a African American period. Hope this helps. Also that is a great purple heart. I hope you send a SF-180 to the National Personnel records Center, and his records were not destroyed in the 1973 fire. Good Luck. Captain George Albert

• 3 years later...
    • 2 weeks later...
    • 2 weeks later...
    • 2 years later...

Just doing a bit of research on this medal.... its pretty cool... slight hints of "Django Unchained" ... Some leadbelly and touch of the old chain gang....

Going through ancestry it seems many African American soldiers came from big cities, William M Cain, born in October 1888 was a "Farmer" on the Bella Mina Plantation in Limestone, Alabama.

Handling the medal today I feel almost obliged to go dust off my copy of "Mississippi Burning" and open a bottel of Rye Whiskey...

With many medals the recipient's part in History probably ended when his service did, then he went back to everyday life... I cant help feeling old William M Cain went back to a life that was probably just was interesting as his service days were....

Maybe I am totally wrong, but I can almost see a hollywood movie, a black guy coming home to Alabama, in uniform in 1919....

46 minutes ago, Chris Boonzaier said:

Maybe I am totally wrong, but I can almost see a hollywood movie, a black guy coming home to Alabama, in uniform in 1919....

I know that feeling! Got ton's of scenario's for movies somewhere in my head.......

Interesting article....

http://www.militaryhistoryonline.com/wwi/articles/fightingforrespect.aspx

This sentence is pretty interesting....

"African American men who owned their own farms and had families were often drafted before single white employees of large planters. Although comprising just ten percent of the entire United States population, blacks supplied thirteen percent of inductees. "

William Cain was a self employed farmer with a wife and child, the draft board denied his deferement and wrote on the card that the Wife and child could go live with the Grandparents.

• 4 months later...

This is a most significant item Chris.  I'd say one of the biggest I've seen here on the forum as it relates to American History- esp the Civil Rights movement. I wish I had something of value in trade that you would be interested in....

Chris!  I am with you!  I would not part with this regardless.  I am not a typical US collector, but something as poignant as this is impossible to walk away from.  I am so busy with my college work (as well as work, family and etc) that I do not have time to think, but I really want to take some time to research this guy!  I bet his story is amazing.