News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello Gentlemen!

I came accross the term Pferde-Depot and find it quite interesting. However I dont get it:

how many horses where in a depot?

what was the purpose of having them in a depot anyway?

was a depot attached to a regiment/corps?

what kind and how many officers were commanding a pferde-depot?

Hope my questions are not very impossible :blush:

Thanks

DavidM

David,

The following information is taken from Hermann Cron: Geschichte des deutschen Heeres im Weltkriege 1914-1918.

Pferde-Depots (or Pferdedepots) were part of the Train.

At the beginning of the war, each Armeekorps had:

2 Munitions-Kolonnen-Abteilungen (4 Infanterie- and 9 Artillerie-Munitions-Kolonnen)

1 Fu?artillerie-Munitions-Kolonnen-Abteilung (8 Kolonnen)

2 Train-Abteilungen (12 Feldlazarette, 6 Proviant-, 7 Fuhrpark-Kolonnen, 2 Pferdedepots, 2 Feldb?ckerei-Kolonnen)

Intially, the Reservekorps generally had fewer assets. Some 54 Pferde-Depots existed when the army entered the field on mobilisation.

Starting on 1 February 1917, the Pferde-Depots were transferred from Korps level formations and became Armeetruppen. The final figures amounted to 5 Heeres-Pferdedeopts, 10 Kavalleire-Pferdedepots and 48 Pferdedepots.

Unfortunately, I cannot find any details on strengths or officer appointments, but I am sure Glenn will be able to fill in some details.

David

Guest Rick Research

Just as there were Replacement Depots for men, there were Replacement Depots for horses.

I've forgotten exactly where I read it, but I believe something like 9 out of 10 horses pressed for military service during that horse-drawn war did not survive.

[attachmentid=18941]

Guest Rick Research

Horses were needed for every branch.

I just had a flip through the Honor Rank List in recalled retired Rittmeisters (because active duty ones don't show such postings, and this is the ONLY rank exclusive to Train and Cavalry) and find former Captains from these units listed with Pferde-Depots:

J?ger Regt zu Fuss Nr. 2

1. Garde Ulanen Regt

ex-Schutztruppen SW Africa (formerly Train Baon 3)

Husaren Regts 8, 12, and 14

Obviously there may be so few because lower ranking or dR and dL officers were stuck with such lowly jobs, but this suggests a mixture of anyone experienced with horses, since they assigned 4 footed replacements to the front.

Hi Rick

Thanks for the digg up!!

Well I guess keeping the horse-bag wasn't a very honourable thing to do. Subsequently, these types would not have been holding awards like the HHOX? I expect same goes for ammunition colonne and field-bakery?I can imagine it to be far more efficient to bake your own bread and so on, so why bother :rolleyes:

David

Hi Rick

Thanks for the digg up!!

Well I guess keeping the horse-bag wasn't a very honourable thing to do. Subsequently, these types would not have been holding awards like the HHOX? I expect same goes for ammunition colonne and field-bakery?I can imagine it to be far more efficient to bake your own bread and so on, so why bother :rolleyes:

David

Men in ammunition columns were usually exposed to the same risks in the front line as most other soldiers and were given the same awards as everyone else, including wound badges, etc. A book describing typical experiences of men in such units was published with the title "Wir fahren den Tod" in the inter-war years. Although it is as full of heroism and patriotic fervour as most other similar works of that era, it still shows that life was not necessarily easy in Train units.

As far as bakery units are concerned, I have a complete document group to Oberb?cker (later Sergeant) Hermann Hilmer of Feldb?ckerei-Kolonne 145 (formerly 1 X. A.K.), Staffel G. 7 of Garde-Ersatz-Division. According to the extensive list of engagements inserted into his Milit?rpass, he was involved in trench fighting on the Chemin des Dames when he was awarded the EK2. The award document does not indicate whether the EK2 was awarded on the black/white or white/black ribbon.

I also have an EK2 award document and other papers to Feldwebel-Leutnant Gustav Franz of Feldb?ckereikolonne 68, Staffel 167, 14. Landwehr-Division.

Another example I have is Leutnant der Landwehr Maximilian Germann of S?chsische Armee-Kraftfahr-Kolonne 362, whose award documents include those for the EK2, Lippe-Detmold Kriegsverdienstkreuz and Albrechtsorden mit Schwertern 2nd class. Although I rather suspect he did not see much action near the front, the other examples I quoted were certainly involved in real fighting.