News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Nichan Iftikhar (Order of Glory) Tunisia

Stogieman

Guest Rick Research

Even more odd on THIS trifold wearer:

[attachmentid=18934]

But at least now we know who those guys were in "Raiders of the Lost Ark." :rolleyes::ninja::speechless1:

Unfortunately, this piece was part of a group of three custom cased pieces sold individually ( :angry::angry::angry: ) in Germany. All 3 cases bore the name Ferdinand Bernhardt on the lids in gold. I won 2 of the 3 and missed this one. I am currently attempting to plea with the other bidder.... :angry:

@Stogieman,

there are some strange deatails about this group offered on ebay germany. The name Ferdinand Bernhardt was written on all three boxes. But the medals in the boxes don't fit to ONE persons life.

-Austria Medal fpr the Danish-Prussian-Austrian War 1864

-Signum Memorieae Medal Franz Josef 1898

-Officersclass Nishan-Ifthikar - Christophe dates the tunisian order in the Reign of Sidi Ahmed 1919-1942

How can decorations that date from 1864-1929 be awarded to one single man ?

Mathematically it is possible but I can't belive it. All boxes are made the same style and must date, if the awards belong to one person, from 1929. But the look defintely like made in the 1870ies or 80es.

So please, can somebody again check the iftikar-order. ist must be from an earlier tunisian bey.

haynau

@Stogieman,

there are some strange deatails about this group offered on ebay germany. The name Ferdinand Bernhardt was written on all three boxes. But the medals in the boxes don't fit to ONE persons life.

-Austria Medal fpr the Danish-Prussian-Austrian War 1864

-Signum Memorieae Medal Franz Josef 1898

-Officersclass Nishan-Ifthikar - Christophe dates the tunisian order in the Reign of Sidi Ahmed 1919-1942

How can decorations that date from 1864-1929 be awarded to one single man ?

Mathematically it is possible but I can't belive it. All boxes are made the same style and must date, if the awards belong to one person, from 1929. But the look defintely like made in the 1870ies or 80es.

So please, can somebody again check the iftikar-order. ist must be from an earlier tunisian bey.

haynau

It is going to take a better scan than the one we have here to do this, Haynau. As you know, so many people consider any script other than Roman (or maybe Cyrillic) to be just "squiggles", and so never take care to depict it clearly.

:angry:

I agree that the grouping is odd. I will be very curious when I get the 2 double cases to see how the pieces actually fit. I also agree that the style/materials of the cases as can be seen in the photos are pre-1900 easily. A quick check with Glen J and there was no officer listed with this name. (I might have mis-spelled when I sent to Glen, dropping the "t" in Bernhardt. I can see the Jubilee and the 1864, but very curious that he doubled them up in the cases.... the old "I don't want anyone to miss the other side" theory? A first for me. I have handled many, many custom cases, cased groups, etc. in both German and Austrian over the years and this one really "spoke" to me. We shall see!

Thinking again about it, and again, the quality of the pic does not help...; it is very possible this order is a north african handmade quality (look at the back) dating from Mohamed es Sadok (1859-1882) which would be compliant with the other orders.

But Mohamed es Sadok cypher is one very complex (even for someone able to read some arabic... ;) at least the modern one...).

But again , the quality of the pic doesn' allow to be formal. Ed, your opinion ?

Cheers.

Ch.