News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

12 year old in the Great War....

Hi Guys,

Did anyone else see the article in the Sun about the 12 year old soldier who alledgedly served in the Great War. Yeh I know its the Sun, so take everything with a pinch of salt. My main concern is, where has this guy been all these years, to just come to light now? :unsure: Anyone ever heard of him before?

A very interesting article.

I recall speaking with a gentleman who joined the British Army at 12 to march off to Egypt. He was reported as being under age by his mother and returned to her under guard similar to the fellow in your story. He did finally join the army and fought in the Boer War as well as in the Great War. At the tme we spoke I was a young man and saw no need to record the details or his name, now that important information is lost forever. Too late smart, too soon old!

Thanks for posting this interesting story, I hope others can add to it.

Regards

Brian

The Channel 4 programme sound interesting, shame it won't be aired here.

As for the book, that sounds like something I'd very much like to read so will keep my eye out. Thanks for posting Gordon.

Tony

A very interesting article.

I recall speaking with a gentleman who joined the British Army at 12 to march off to Egypt. He was reported as being under age by his mother and returned to her under guard similar to the fellow in your story. He did finally join the army and fought in the Boer War as well as in the Great War. At the tme we spoke I was a young man and saw no need to record the details or his name, now that important information is lost forever. Too late smart, too soon old!

Thanks for posting this interesting story, I hope others can add to it.

Regards

Brian

Brian, how many of us have stories like that. Why didn`t we ask more questions of Grandad, etc. :banger: I often wonder should I make a record, will my grand kids be interested, in what I did "during the war" :blush: