News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

1914 EK 1...

the reverse is notable for several reasons.

first, there appears to be a lacquer-like substance which

still remains on some areas of the back and in the

recesses of the maker mark.

next, the maker itself. it is marked

J H WERNER below the hinge,

and

BERLIN above the catch.

these are the deepest, widest MM's

i've seen in quite a while.

i have seen this maker mark on maker mark lists,

but have never even seen a picture of one. if anyone

knows of any references with pix/info, please let me know.

thanks,

joe

Hi Joe

Very nice piece!

Here is another Werner for comparison....

[attachmentid=19014]

Interestingly, although the pin and hinge set-up is different to yours, this one also appears to have something on the underside of the pin.... although it's impossible to make out what it is.

Marshall

[attachmentid=19015]

GREAT pictures, marshall!!

yes there are differences, but there are some

very intereresting similarities.

i believe the 1914 numerals are very similar.

the crowns are similar, as is the "W".

while the hinge and pin are different, it is

rather striking how similar the catch is.

i wish i knew how to do side-by-side

comparisons.... :rolleyes:

thank you for your photos, marshall.

joe

Guest Rick Research

Well, I've never seen ANY J.H. Werner product but a Turkish War Medal star before (the best, better than Godet) but here's the reverse of my TWM, bought by later Konteradmiral (V) August B?ning in the 1920s--

[attachmentid=19022]

[attachmentid=19023]

Notice that the lettering is exactly like Joe's, with heavy deep letters and serifs on them, "Times New Roman" rather than "Arial" for approximate typeface. Not at all like the Winckler piece's lettering, though the same soft enough to have bent "partly used toothpaste tube" pin and on all of these the heavy catch appears similar.

Hi,

Joe, that's an exceptionally nice example of a very hard to find variant! I've seen that "laquer" effect on very few 1914 EK1s and personally I think it is more of an echt silver plating over solid silver frame(s).

Marshall, that "oval" hingeplate looks like something I'd expect from a "WS" example - same for the core. That's a flat cross, correct? It's looking like more "interbreeding" between EK manufacturers! Assuming that maker mark hasn't been added more recently to increase value.

Rick, I too would love to see the obverse of your Turkish Star. I'd expect superior enameling.

The only other Werner marked example I have in my collection is a Prussian RAO 4th class on tri-fold ribbon - marked J.H.W. on the lower arm. I don't think there would be too many manufacturers with those initials.

Here's my EK1 example. It also marked under the hinge with a roman numeral, from memory a number between 14 and 18 because initially I thought it may have been the year of manufacture - that is obviously not the case. It's well worn and each outer corner has been bent over slightly, I assume for additional "grip" onto a uniform.

Regards

Mike K

Edited by Mike K

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the picture I promised of the laquered cross. Can't seem to get the camera to show the laquering effect on this cross. It is however very finely sheened and it appears period. You can just make out a bit of reflection on the picture.

Hi Joe, it is simply marked 935 in the centre of the reverse. I bought it some years ago from a well known dealer. It was described as being unmarked but probably high silver content. I got it out of the bag and the first thing I saw was the content mark. One of those "Yeessss" moments as it cost very little.

Somehow it's one of those pieces that froms the core of my collection. I don't have the means to amass a large collection so find myself buying and selling a lot and my collection is in a permanent state of flux. Somehow I just cannot part with this one and know I'd regret it if I ever did. Not that it's anything world-meltingly special it just has that something about it.

here is a mini EK2 with 18mm from J.H.Werner , a very high quality piece made of silver, fine details!!! I think Werner made some of the best awards, great EK`s and wonderfull turkish war medals (iron halfmoon) !!!! This mini one comes from a Oberst of the Artillerie.