News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

1st Bn The Dorsetshire Regiment - A List of Personnel, 1905.

The Dorsetshire Regiment was formed in 1881 by the amalgamation of The 39th (Dorsetshire)Regiment of Foot - the 39th (Dorsetshire) Regiment

& The 54th (West Norfolk)Regiment of Foot, The 39th formng the 1st Battalion of the new regiment.

The original cap badge of The Dorsetshire Regiment featured a two-turret castle over a sphinx within a laurel wreath, with name scroll "DORSETSHIRE" at the top.

Following standardisation of the design of Gibralter Castle as represented on the cap badges of a number of regiments, the Dorsetshire’s badge was altered so that the sphinx was above the castle, which now had three turrets, & the name scroll was at the bottom of the wreath (sealed 18/10/01).

In an article "Headdress Badges of The Dorsetshire Regiment" which appeared in the Crown Imperial journal during the 1980's / early 90's Colin G. Churchill states that the two turret badge was worn from about 1894 until about 1906, & that the Other Ranks version of the three turret badge was adopted some years after the officer’s & NCO’s versions were introduced into wear, being worn on the Broderick cap from 1903.

Whatever the dates the two or three turret badges were worn, the two turret version forms the basis of the design of this roll of personnel of the 1st Bn in 1905:

Edited by leigh kitchen

• Replies 51
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Leigh - as a resident of Dorsetshire, I can only say how pleased I am that you have got around to us...

The H.Q. of the Regt. is in Dorchester and the entrance to the barracks is built in similar shape to your illustration - for some reason I had never connected the shape with Gibralter. They are a much loved Regiment and of course, have the Freedom of Dorchester. Thankyou.

If you look closely between the Colours you'll see that the list was complied at Ferozepore, India in 1905 and not 1903. Hopefully the Battalion Nominal Roll still survives and all of these lads could be given relevant regimental numbers. Also under the terms of enlistment for the infantry of 12yrs(7yrs with the Colours & 5yrs with the Reserve), a good few may have seen service during the Great War.

Edited by Graham Stewart

I was in too much of a hurry to read the photo, having just rediscovered it (another busy day in the garage) - & after all, I've only had it about 15 - 20 years...date corrected.....

This A 4 sized photo came with a cabinet photo of a Dorset, I think with Vctorian Crown helmet plate, & with a pair of old green Drummer's cords.

Edited by leigh kitchen

• 1 year later...

Hello i have in my collection the 1st bn Dorsetshire Regiment complete album which list all the personal as on 1906 at Ferozepore Punjab India.I am a researcher and collocter of Ferozepore.My website myferozepur.com will display this album in few days time.Can you send me list of personal as the i am unable to open here.I might need your assistance for this

regards

Narinder Sethi

New Delhi

Hello i have in my collection the 1st bn Dorsetshire Regiment complete album which list all the personal as on 1906 at Ferozepore Punjab India.I am a researcher and collocter of Ferozepore.My website myferozepur.com will display this album in few days time.Can you send me list of personal as the i am unable to open here.I might need your assistance for this

regards

Narinder Sethi

New Delhi

Email sent.......

• 1 month later...

Leigh, what a superb find, worthy of a museum.

Following Narinder Sethi's post to his website I had a look at his album of the 1st Dorsets. Many of the names on your piece are pictured in the album. The album is a superb reference to the uniforms and badges of the time and the photography very good considering the date.

In my search for confirmation of wear of the '1906 wide wreath Dorsetshire cap badge' I thought I had the enigma cracked with the photo on page 24. The Sgt. Major is wearing the pre 1901 two tower badge, the Adj sitting beside him has the badge worn up to amalgamation and the Bandmaster looked to be wearing the wide wreath. I emailed Narinder who graciously sent me a lovely enlarged scan of the photo. Alas it turns out that the Bandmaster is indeed wearing the normal badge. Close, much closer but no cigar yet.

Of course every avenue of search has it's side streets and ths one is no exception. On the left of this photo captioned 'Regimental Instructors' is Sergt.-Dr. Clarke. It's interesting to see he is wearing what I always thought was the Officer's forage cap badge from the 1890s. He's the only one bar a Sergeant in the band wearing one. He's shown with 'The Drums' and must be what we'd now call a Drum Major. What would his title have been then. Sergeant of Drums? Also why is his uniform so different?

The album can be found here. The rest of the site is well worth a look as is searching for Fred Bremner the photographer.

Edited by Jim Maclean

Just for info here's the trio that sparked my interest.

Left to right:- Sergt.-Major Hunter, Capt. & Adj A. L. Moulton-Barrett and Bandmaster R. J. Shepherd.

I must find myself a copy of this album but where :unsure: ?

Edited by Jim Maclean

• 1 year later...