News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

A little more help on some formation signs

Infuriating, I should know what the Staffs knot is but can't remember, I can't remember if it's specfic to a unit such as Staffs Yeomanry or North / South Staffs Regiments, or a brigade formed of Staffs infantry.

Bottom left - something to do with a Northern Ireland formation, as it has the gate, the white gate on green rectangle was one of the signs the Northern Ireland Distrct used.

Top rght, somethng o do with the MOnmouthshire Regiment, the dragon is similar to their officer's badge (not that that means a lot).

Bottom right, reminiscent of the Force 135 nsgnia, but with black & white lions nstead of yellow. Is this one actually miltary?

Infuriating, I should know what the Staffs knot is but can't remember, I can't remember if it's specfic to a unit such as Staffs Yeomanry or North / South Staffs Regiments, or a brigade formed of Staffs infantry.

Bottom right, reminiscent of the Force 135 nsgnia, but with black & white lions nstead of yellow. Is this one actually miltary?

I think that the knotted one is the North Staffs Regiment, rather than a divisional or brigade badge. I have something similar knocking around here somewhere...

The bottom right badge i am inclined to agree with Leigh...Im not so sure that it is military....

Dan

I think that the knotted one is the North Staffs Regiment, rather than a divisional or brigade badge. I have something similar knocking around here somewhere...

Dan

Here we are -

Badge of the Territorial 5/6 Bn Staffordshire Regiment.

phew!

I have always been interested in where the Staffs knot came from. Does anyone know?

:cheers: Dan

Great, I knew I'd seen it somewhere.

I can't remember the knot's origins, but of course there's the old story of the design being so that 3 men could be hanged at the same time with one length of rope......

A quick google:

http://www.bagnallvillage.com/Pages/Stafford%20Knot.htm

Edited by leigh kitchen

Talking of the North Staffs - during the Boer War they were based for a time in a small village - Wakkerstroom, in Northern Natal. The hill behind the town has their badge carved into the turf - similar to the badges on the Downs in UK. I have never heard of this being done anywhere else in Sth. Africa.

Thank you for all the replies. Pretty good actually; one positive ID and I'm now pretty sure the lower right is not military. Two to go. The shield has the Northern Ireland gate embroidered on. Con anyone think of a unit that used the green over maroon color scheme in their badges?

Garth

• 2 weeks later...

Closest I can think of offhand is the green of the Royal Army Dental Corps & the maroon of the Royal Army Medical Corps.....f

Leigh,

The badge turned out to be for the Belgian Army Medical Detachment stationed in NI during WW2. Here is a link to a site for Belgian Army formation badges 1940 - 1946.

http://www.be4046.eu/index1.htm

Garth

I'd never have got that one, interesting that they chose the gate as a symbol.

(I just followed the link you give, took me to the site, booted me out, had to log back in whereupon I was given a confusing reworking of my bookmarks, allegedly a format bought in by BT in March 2008.......strange. Before that though, it looked an interesting site)

Edited by leigh kitchen