News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Another badge about which I have no idea!

I think we are looking at either the standard 'VR' intertwined cypher for a pouch or, cross belt. They come in two sized - standard and for the mess dress. This photo shows both sizes.

The alternative is for the Grenadier Guards - which I will show in the next photo - for a comparison.

The Grenadier Guards have a traditional style of reversing the cypher - either GG or VR. For the Royal cypher it could look like - VRRV.

I will put another style underneath. However, as often happens it could be for something totally different from another country...

You ask about prices - although I see you are not selling them now. This particular badge - the one you show, with the lugs removed to mount on a board and some loss of the fire gilding - about £50 - £75. ($70-$105)

Edited by Mervyn Mitton

You ask about prices - although I see you are not selling them now. This particular badge - the one you show, with the lugs removed to mount on a board and some loss of the fire gilding - about £50 - £75. ($70-$105)

Thank you very much for all that information...terrific. And your valuation has surprised me. But you are right, I am not selling it, or the others, as I've decided that I need to keep these items, and the others I've got, in the family. What I'm going to embark upon is creating a database of the items, and attach all the info I can gather about each item, based on what I can find out from the records we have and the advice I can get on here (I've just subscribed to show some commitment!!).

So, thanks again...I'm feeling rather inspired, and suddenly finding out all sorts, which I'll gladly share on here.

Alex

Hi there

I know the feeling you have rusticalex, this is the first time I have been genuinely excited about a 'hobby'. I too am developing my own database, one as an easy reference point for info and two for insurance purposes as I have been told my little collection has to be insured seperately.

Welcome to this weird and wonderful world of militaria collecting

Mel

Hi there

I know the feeling you have rusticalex, this is the first time I have been genuinely excited about a 'hobby'. I too am developing my own database, one as an easy reference point for info and two for insurance purposes as I have been told my little collection has to be insured seperately.

Welcome to this weird and wonderful world of militaria collecting

Mel

Hi Mel

Thanks for the welcome. I have to say that it is the likes of this site and the people on it that makes a hobby like this so worthwhile. The fact that there is a ready source of willing support out there is fantastic, and I just can not wait to get myself organised and start finding out more and more about the stuff I have - very exciting! The only problem is time - there just isn't enough!!

Cheers

Alex