News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The Perfect wound badge collection

Hi Don , Your oval outline (for the "C" catch) looks larger than mine , that's why I mentioned a diff Die for the back. Have you ever seen one of these 24's in Silver ? Zimmermann did have their own "out of the ordinary" way of doing things .. Maybe this pattern was only done in Gold ?

• Replies 165
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No I don't think there was another die.I just think the oval part on mine looks bigger than your round

catch type.I think my badge is a silver.I have seen other silver badges with gold pins.I think they

used what was on hand at the time.For example...I think your badge and mine are the same or came

from the same die.Your badge seems to have a better hinge set up them mine.Mine seems to have

a nicer catch set up then yours.One Question....Is your hinge cast onto the badge?If the hinge is

cast onto the badge there might have been another die.My hinge plate is not cast to the badge.One

of those steel types

don

Edited by don

Nope , my Hinge is not cast into the Badge ....maybe old age is catching up with my eyes or something :unsure: the size of the outlines still look different to me. If we took the "C" catches and base plates for the catches off the badges ( not that we ever would mind you :P )...what we'd be left with is that faint oval "outline" that's pressed onto the back of the badge ..that's what I'm reffering to.

I know what you mean about seeing Gold colored hinges and pins but ..the Gold I'm reffering to looks almost like a light gold haze over the back ...you can also see some still on the ridge above the hinge and in the recesses along the back edge ..that's why I wondered if these started off as a Gold Badge . It's not just on the Hinge/Pin assembly.

They are a strange variation ..wish I knew a production time frame

• 1 month later...

Hello all,

Here is my early unmarked black wound badge, the only one in my collection so far. The back catch has been slightly bent and a large amount of grime has uglied up the back a bit, but I'm not going to clean it. The colour of the scan is a little off, it's not nearly that coppery, it is brass I believe. Hope you enjoy, anybody else with the same one?

Pat

On the subject of Wound Badges, this one struck me as amazing in the amount of effort to produce a common black wound badge. The base material is not brass but Tombak (note the bronze colour showing through at the 1 o'clock position on the helmet).

This has then been gilded, then a silver plate added over the gilding, then a chemical blackening (not paint) to finish it off. What a time consuming and potentially expensive method. I wonder why they didn't just spray paint it black .

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks mate,

An interesting one, this exact designation style of lettering and maker mark have me confounded !

In fact the packet has, I have to say it's a first for me and perhaps at this moment in time I like it more than not.

Great to see something different and 'new', very interesting. I need to get my hands on one of these examples now.

Again, thanks very much.