News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

TURKISH UN KOREAN WAR MEDAL

Brett Hendey

Hello,

Here is how to recognize the original UN authorized UN Korean War Medals comparing with the others:

1. The size of the medal is smaller in the original.

2. The top leaf of the wreath surrounding the world is long in the original.

3. The leaves of the wreath are more closer to each other in the original

3. the space between Europe and Noth America is narrower in the original

4. Australia is thicker and bigger in the original

5. New Zealand (top right side of 12.00 o'clock) is thicker in the original

6. In the original the bar with a handle under the script Korea holding the medal is narrower in general and thinner at the ends and in it is not as wide as the others.

7. Reverse of the same bar in the middle where the hand holds the medal there is a small mound. A line passes through this mound is thinner and the mounds size is bigger than the bar in the original.

8. More space between the script and the edge in the original Spanish one.

There are more in the world map but the wreath is enough to easily recognize the unofficial ones.

The pin is not important original might be lost with the original ibbon.

I checked the other language UN Korean war medals (except Italian) and they are all same.

I am posting the pictures of Original UN made Spanish Korean War Medal and comparing it with another Spanish version.

Also an original Turkish medal to show the same print and style with the original Spanish one.

Best wishes

:beer:

DEMIR

Original Spanish UN Korea Medal and original Turkish Medal on top and other maker Spanish medal bottom

Edited by demir

Hello,

Now somebody from KARAWARA, PERTH, Australia selling some UN Korean war medals in the well known auction site. Please check items Spanish 300407893289, French 300407868175, Philippines 300407896821 (There is no official Phillipinnes UN medal, Local made?) , Turkish (I could not understand some words) 300407866228.

I wanted to show you the original Turkish Language UN Korea War Medal and the one on the auction site item no:300407866228

But obverse of these look more real then my previous thread.

The picture of the Original Turkish UN Korea War Medal from my collection shown on top. Check dots under and above some letters, and 4th and 6 th words. Lovely isn't it?

Best wishes

:beer:

demir erman

• 1 month later...

These are commonly sold on ebay by mcstls, but beware they are copies (as is the other junk he sells) - see for example lot 220511512238

Yes, you are correct about mcstls . Also beware of jb_militaria he sales fake Turkish UN Korean war medal (eby item no:300407866228).

Edited by demir

• 1 year later...

Do we know the actual producer of these UN medals? I see most of these simply have the UN label with letter designation for the language.

I ask, as I have seen slight variations in these and feel there is at least two makers of the English version. One of the differences is the length of the "top leaf".

Tim

Here's one of mine in the box of issue:

Other die differences noted as well but I only called out the leaf on these.

Here's a couple more shots of some examples I've seen and you can see variations in the box as well.

Tim

• 4 weeks later...

And, the comparison shots:

Hello,

As I Mentiond earlier in my thread :

http://gmic.co.uk/in...orea-war-medal/

There are two versions of English Korean UN War medal.

This was the thread:

"Hi,

The English version of the UN Korean War medal has 2 issues.

The size of the English inscription " FOR SERVICE IN / DEFENCE OF THE / PRINCIPLES OF THE / CHARTER OF THE / UNITED NATIONS" in the reverse of the medal differs.

In the first issues above mentioned inscription is in 2 mm high letters (left in the picture) and in the second later issues 2.5 mm. high.

Best wishes

Demir Erman"

The one with shorter leaf has 2.5 mm high letters in the reverse (right one in the picture) and even the word KOREA on the obverse is taller and larger when compared the longer leaf version

Please also check my thread on the UN Korean War Medal Collection:

http://gmic.co.uk/in...-my-collection/

demir

Edited by demir

Oops, forgot about this one, not as commonly seen as the UN marked boxes.

Tim

Hello,

This box belongs to USA Korean Service Medal.

The Korean Service Medal was authorized on Nov. 8, 1950, for members of the United States Armed Forces for service in Korea, 30 consecutive or 60 nonconsecutive days between June 27, 1950, and July 27, 1954. This KSM is awarded for participating in any engagement against the enemy in the territory, waters, or air in North or South Korea. Personnel also are considered as having participated in an engagement if they were members of:

1. A unit under tthe operational command of the Commander-in-Chief, Far East, other than those units within the territorial limits of Korea, which has been designated by the Commander-in-Chief, Far East, as having directly supported the military campaign in Korea.

2. Was furnished an individual certificate by the Commander-in-Chief, far East, testifying to the material contribution made in the direct support of the military efforts in Korea.

Here is the picture of the USA Korea Sevice Medal:

Hi,

There is also a Republic of Korea War Service Medal (ROKWSM)

"Republic of Korea War Service Medal (ROKWSM)) is a decoration of South Korea which was first authorized in December 1950.

Originally known as the Incident Participation Medal the medal was first authorized to South Korean troops

who had participated in the initial counter-assaults against North Korean aggression in June 1950.

In 1951, President Syngman Rhee ordered that the Incident Participation Medal be renamed as the War Service Medal

and further authorized the decoration to any troops who were defending South Korea against invasion.

In 1954, the South Korean government authorized the now called Korean War Service Medal to all United Nations troops

who had fought in the Korean War between the dates of June 25, 1950 to July 27, 1953."

demir

Hello Demir,

In regards to the file PIC I posted in post #35 showing the UN style medal with Medallic Art Company box, and your US Korean Service Medal in post #37:

Looking at this issue closer, I think you are correct and I missed and obvious point with the box. The Medallic Art Company had another label, dated only one month later, with different stock number and nomenclature for their Korean Service Medal as shown below.

Tim

I know these "unit of issues" sometimes listed items with different stock numbers based on what came in the box (i/e: the medal with or without the service ribbon or, in earlier medal examples, a lapel device.

I think what we are seeing here is a case where, in November 1955, the individual components were not listed, but in December they had to be individually listed on the box of issue.

The manufacturer's contract number was slightly different as well (7902 vs 7903). When I originally seen the combination I showed in post #35, I assumed the "E" indicated the English version of the UN medal.

Tim :cheers:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

medalhut from TEXAS, United States is selling fake in this fake sellers paradise

U.N. MEDAL FOR KOREA IN TURKISH W/BAR "KORE"

item no: 27078010080 and it is Not Available to Turkey because it is fake. But this is a terrible fake, even the Turkish on it is not proper Turkish.

Regards

Demir

• 11 months later...

For some fakes, take a look at the auctions of mcstls - see for example ebay auction 220511512238. Sometimes he also has them made up with red ribbons - also fakes not originals with a swapped ribbon.

These UN medals by mcstls are fakes meant to deceive collectors and sold as such - they are not "new versions" for qualified recipients or whatever. The WW1 Interallied victory medals by mcstls are also fakes.

Rgds,

Dave

'mcstls' is selling very creative medals again in the famous website, beware.

He says

'This is a Ethiopian version of the United Nations Korean Service Medal. It is a very nice medal and will make a great addition to any collection. I picked it up from the Shows of Shows in Louisville, KY. Contact me if you have any questions about a item. I will get back to you well before the auctions end. The blue-and-whilte ribbon design is common to all the various Country medals.

Happy Bidding !!!!

Thanks.'

If you want to see these medals please see and compare with the ones in your hands to see the difference

United Nations Korean Service Medal (Turkish Version b)

United Nations Korean Service Medal (Turkish Version a)

United Nations Korean Service Medal (Ethiopian Version) a

United Nations Korean Service Medal (Ethiopian Version) b

United Nations Korean Service Medal (Columbian Version) a

Regards

• 8 years later...