News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Crimea Medal

Guest Darrell

Guest Darrell

This is a Four Clasp (ALMA / BALAKLAVA / INKERMANN / SEBASTOPOL) Crimea Medal awarded to 2 Thomas Joy of the Royal Horse Artillery.

He was listed as died on July 7, 1855. Unfortunately as is often the case with Dead Crimean Medal awardees, no paper work on the individual could be located. However the original Rolls for Crimea Medal and the 4 Clasps entitlement do exist as shown below.

The Medal is Official Impressed (as expected) as GUNNER T. JOY. R.H. ARTY.

Obverse:

That is a beautiful medal, well done :cheers:

Is that the original ribbon or modern replacement?

Thanks

Dan

Excellent photos and well researched (tho' I suspect the ribbon is "modern") Many thanks for the priviledge of showing us this outstanding award. Jeff

Edited by Jeff Mc William

Guest Darrell

I'd say 99% of these ribbons have been replaced. A strange thing about most Victorian collectors, they don't seem to really care about ribbon condition or originality .. unlike TR or imperial. You see the odd one with "supposed" original ribbon, but after 155 years I would suspect most have fallen off or been discarded by family or by "clean and pretty" fanatic collectors.

So to answer your question, it is obviously a replacement.

Guest Darrell

Found out some additional information regarding "I" Troop which Thomas Joy was a part of:

"I Troop" Royal Horse Artillery was initially attached to the Cavalry Division . . . under the command of Captain George Maude (until wounded in the battle of Balaklava). Command subsequently devolved upon 2nd Captain John Shakespear for the battle of Inkerman, then 2nd Cpt [brevet Major] Gaspar Tupper beginning in Jan 1855. When the Cavalry Divison totally reorganised (around July-Aug 1855), the attached RHA consisted of: A Troop (under Cpt [brev Maj] Charles Henry, C Troop (under Captain Henry Thomas) and I Troop (under Cpt [brev Maj] John Brandling, and Ball Cartridge Brigade (under 2nd Cpt William Saunders).[source: Into Battle: British Orders of Battle for the Crimean War by Ron McGuigan; highly recommended and currently out of print]

This confirms what is written on the above Medal Rolls (reference to Captain George Maude). Also, an interesting article from the Victorian Forum, that is an account described by 2nd Captain John Shakespear that took over command when Maude got wounded on Day 1 at Balaklava of which Joy (and the "I" Troop) took part :cheers:

Captain Shakespear RA account, his letter was published in the Times on 3 April 1855:

Sir,— Having been repeatedly asked to lay before the public what I know relative to the attack made by the Light Cavalry at Balaklava, and what was done, or not done, by the Horse Artillery, I have been induced to make the following statement:— It is well known that on Major Maude falling seriously wounded early in the day I, who had been with him in four previous actions and affairs, succeeded to the command of his troop. Passing over all previous occurrences of that day, I had brought my guns up at a gallop on the left flank of the Heavy Cavalry, while reforming after their charge. The Light Cavalry, having passed along my rear, were on my left flank. It must now be remembered that the whole cavalry brigade were in the plain on the Balaklava side of the heights on which were the redoubts. My troop would be about 600 yards from the crest of those heights. Considering all immediate action over, if not, indeed, the whole thing for the day, I rode over the heights to reconnoitre. I there met Lieutenant-Colonel M'Mahon, the Quartermaster-General of Cavalry. We were alone, and with our telescopes were examining the Russian Artillery in the bush on the opposite heights across the second plain. The distance would be about 1,500 yards. I had counted 10 guns; there were other guns further on to the left of these. There was cavalry, infantry, and artillery in the plain, nearly a mile away. I knew that the Russians held Nos. 1, 2, and 3 redoubts, which, it must be remembered, faced the bush I have before mentioned. Captain Charteris rode up to us; he was accompanied, I think, by Captain Methuen, of the screw steamship Colombo. The former said, 'You will see something now; the Light Cavalry are going to attack down the plain.' I exclaimed, 'You will all be destroyed. I will go and bring up the troop and try and give assistance.' I galloped back; I could not see Lord Lucan; but, Major-General Scarlett being close at hand, I said, 'Will you allow me to go to the support of the Light Cavalry?' His answer was, 'Certainly.' I moved off at a smart trot, seeing the rear regiments of the Light Cavalry just slip out of sight over the heights. My horses were tired and reduced in numbers, several having been killed in the early part of the day; so I soon came to a walk. The Scots Grays had moved before me, and had halted in line just at the foot of the heights. I passed through their squadron at intervals. At this time Major Walker, Lord Lucan's aide-de-camp, rode up to me, and, in a conversation I had with him afterwards, he said, 'with an order for me to advance.' I perfectly remember his being with me, but have no recollection of this order. Had he brought me directions to do otherwise than I was doing, I should probably have paid more attention. Major Walker, in speaking to me on the subject afterwards said, 'My life was probably saved by being sent back for you.' I passed on over the heights with the troop; a heavy fire was immediately opened on me, happily without effect, from the artillery in the bush on the opposite heights; to this I could not reply, the range being too great for my light guns. I at once 'wheeled to the right,' and endeavoured to pass along the Balaklava side of the heights immediately below their crest, screened from the enemy's fire, and so come over, if possible, on the right rear of our Light Cavalry, but a cut down into the Woronzoff road, past which I could not get my guns, prevented me. I wheeled about and followed the Heavy Cavalry, which had now come up, down into the plain in support of the Light Cavalry.

The fire at this time from the Russian front and flanks was tremendous. I halted for a moment in the rear of the Heavy Cavalry, but, not being able to make my guns of any use, seeing the disaster and knowing from previous observation that descending further into the plain was taking the troop to certain destruction and giving the guns intrusted to my care into the hands of the enemy, I retired at a walk to the crest of the heights on my own responsibility, fearing a second Chilianwallah, and was almost immediately followed by the Heavy Cavalry, who were, indeed, close on to my guns when I reached the crest.

I am, Sir, your obedient servant,

J D SHAKESPEAR, Captain RA

Edited by Darrell

Darrell - a lovely medal and to have the four bars is great. We had a 'charger' some years ago and I have been looking for ref. books to assist. However, you seem to have found out most of the background. The famour ref book on Balaclave is 'Honour the Light Brigade' by W.M.Lummis. He deals only with the 'chargers' but, there is a good map showing the terrain and also the positions of the RHA. I will get it photographed and add to thread.