News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Crimea Medal

Guest Darrell

• 1 month later...

As a new member I was interested to see the posts relating to your I troop Crimea medal. I was fortunate to pick up Crimea DCM group (DCM, 4 Bar Crimea Medal, Army LSGC medal and Turkish Crimea medal) to a Cpl W Johnson of I Troop RHA. I am still researching the group and have found a mass of useful information in the book "The History of the Royal Artillery (Crimea Period) by Colonel Julian R J Jocelyn which has 8 entries relating to the Troop. If you are not aware of this book I can advise you of the company currently selling re-prints. If you, or any other members, can advise me of other sources of information, especially about the man who won the DCM and why I would be overjoyed.

Guest Darrell

As a new member I was interested to see the posts relating to your I troop Crimea medal. I was fortunate to pick up Crimea DCM group (DCM, 4 Bar Crimea Medal, Army LSGC medal and Turkish Crimea medal) to a Cpl W Johnson of I Troop RHA. I am still researching the group and have found a mass of useful information in the book "The History of the Royal Artillery (Crimea Period) by Colonel Julian R J Jocelyn which has 8 entries relating to the Troop. If you are not aware of this book I can advise you of the company currently selling re-prints. If you, or any other members, can advise me of other sources of information, especially about the man who won the DCM and why I would be overjoyed.

Thanks mate. If you could PM me details that would be great.

I can look up your man on the RA Roll if you have not seen those yet. Let me know.

Thanks mate. If you could PM me details that would be great.

I can look up your man on the RA Roll if you have not seen those yet. Let me know.

Darrell - Hi and thanks for the reply. The book is published by -

The Naval & Military Press Ltd

Unit 10

Ridgewood Industrial Estate

Uckfield

East Sussex

TN22 5QE

Phone 01825 749494

I cannot recall what I paid for the book but it was worth it as it does provide a lot of information on the activities of I Troop; if you contact the publisher get them to put you on their mailing list as they publish a monthly list of books that deal with military history covering all areas.

Thanks for the offer to look up my man on the RA Roll, I do have copies of all his papers from the public records office which confirm he was entitled to his 4 bar Crimea medal etc. The only problem is that their is no indication why he was awarded a DCM. On discharge his papers note that "he wears a sliver medal for bravery" The RA Museum are not a lot of help if you cannot visit them and as I live in Lancashire that is difficult. On reading through the book I think I can identify the action as there is a record of a very tough action on one day.

All the best for a happy holiday and very peaceful new year.

Yours aye

John Ferguson

Guest Darrell

Thanks for the info John.

Yes, it sometimes makes you very frustrated when you can't find the details for a particular medal. Good luck!

There maybe some member here that could help out that lives closer.

Thanks for the info John.

Yes, it sometimes makes you very frustrated when you can't find the details for a particular medal. Good luck!

There maybe some member here that could help out that lives closer.

Darrell = I have just recalled having read that I Troop who suupport the Light brigade were always invited to the annual reunion dinners altjough they were never listed.

John

• 2 years later...
    • 5 weeks later...

Hi - really fascinating thread; KORB I have just bought the same book from N&M as I thought it about time I started researching my own officially impressed 4 clasp RA Crimea. Mine is to S, HORN, GR. & DR. RL. ARTY. Now here's a weird thing: I bought this on ebay about 6 years ago (cheaply from someone who described it badly and could not take a photo), anyway, last year I bought S Horn's Turkish Crimea ( from ebay US for just £75. What are the odds of reuniting a split pair?! This tinternet thing is fab!). It is engraved: S Horn 5 Co 11 Battn R A (It's a 'La Crimee' version). Both medals are on original silks. When I bought the first medal I was disappointed that it had a slightly flattened edge where it had banged against another medal, but now I have the other medal it sort of feels right, these medals were worn by a bloke who's trade was being bounced about on a horse or gun carriage, so of course his medals would have dings.

I don't suppose anyone out there would know anything about S Horn, or 5 Co or 11th Battn R A ?

The Artillery Redoubts - shown 1 to 6 were already in position to control the Russians. I am not sure if they were Royal Artillery - or, if the Royal Horse Artillery were in them ?

The redoubts were manned by the Turks, 600 with 3 12pdr naval guns in No. 1 Redoubt, 300 with 2 12pdr in No's 2,3 & 4 Redoubts, all with a R.A. NCO in charge of each. No 5 & 6 Redoubts were unfinished and so not manned.

I troop Horse Artillery were placed between No's 2 & 3 Redoubt.

Steve

Edited by Rayjin

• 9 months later...

Chris

Yes many were issued unnamed but some of them were later regimentally engraved or privately engraved by the recipient, others which bedevil collectors remained unnamed for over a 100 years and then were engraved up (usually to interesting units, including chargers).French Crimeas do turn up named and there are several styles of naming but again these were done on a regimental basis (I have no idea whether there is the same problem withrecently engraved unnamed French pieces maybe on of our French members will be able to enlighten us.).

Paul

Hi Chris & Paul

Thanks for your explanation...My doubt about the unamed medals was because of a medal that I aquire last week on a french store,,,unamed

Thanks once again

Peron

Edited by peron

And another with what looks like a very old ribbon but it also seems to have been broached. Named to a Daniel Wilson - no unit that I can see through the knocks and scratches.