News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

India General Service Medals

Guest Darrell

Guest Darrell

The following thread can be used to post any India General Service Medals (of which 4 were issued).

1. IGSM 1895-1907

Instituted in 1896 initially as an award to the defenders and relievers of Chitral, but later extended to further Indian frontier campaigns and actions. Description: Issued in silver and bronze, 36mm diameter with a swivelling ornate suspender . Obverse; (two types) First type, the veiled and crowned bust of Queen Victoria and the legend VICTORIA REGINA ET IMPERATRIX. The second type has the bust of Edward VII in field marshal's uniform and the legend EDWARDVS VII REX IMPERATOR . Reverse depicts an Indian and British Soldier supporting a Flag. "INDIA 1895" N is inscribed around the lower half of this scene.

Naming: generally in running script to British and Indian units, but there are exceptions such as Punjab Frontier / Tirah to the Highland Light Infantry, which are in upright engraved sans serif capitals. Medals can be commonly found named in either direction.

Ribbon: Red with two green stripes.

Clasps issued:

Defence of Chitral 1895

Relief of Chitral 1895

Punjab Frontier 1897-98

Malakand 1897

Tirah 1897-98

Samana 1897

Waziristan 1901-02

The following example was awarded to 4388 Pte J. OLIVER 1st Bn Gord. Hrs. It is part of an Elandslaagte QSA grouping posted elsewhere on the forum.

Obverse:

• Replies 60
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Darrell

2. IGSM 1908-1935

Instituted 1st January 1909 for campaign service on the Indian frontiers and elsewhere as defined by the bars awarded below. The medal was not issued without a bar.

Description; 36mm diameter in silver or bronze for the first two bars issued, the rest only in silver. The medal was produced with three obverse types:

1. Edward VII in Field Marshal's uniform - EDWARDVS VII KISAR-I-HIND

2. George V crowned, in coronation robes - GEORGIVS KISAR-I-HIND

3. George V crowned, in coronation robes - GEORGIVS. V. D. G. BRITT. OMN. REX. ET. INDIAE. IMP.

Reverse depicts the Fort at Jamrud with mountains in the background, below is a tied branch of oak and laurel with the word INDIA above. The medal was struck at the Royal mint in Britain and at the Calcutta mint in India - each with its own version of suspender, the British one with an orate claw and the Indian one with a plain claw.

Naming; Medals with the first two bars issued are in engraved running script, the rest in impressed sans-serif capitals with some slight variations between issues.

Ribbon: Green with a wide central blue band.

Clasps Issued:

North West Frontier 1908

Afghanistan N.W.F. 1919

Waziristan 1919-21

Waziristan 1921-24

North West Frontier 1930-31

Mohamand 1933

Abor 1911-12

Mahsud 1919-20

Malabar 1921-22

Waziristan 1925

Burma 1930-32

North West Frontier 1935

This one is attributed to:

DVR. BHAJAN SINGH . 28-MT.BY.

Obverse:

Guest Darrell

3. IGSM - 1936-1939

Instituted 3rd August 1938 and awarded to all officers and men, authorised public and private followers and civilian personnel borne on the strength of a unit or formation, and to police and other civilian personnel who rendered full time active service employed in military operations in, or on the frontier of India.

Description; 36mm diameter in silver1. Obverse; The crowned head of King George VI and the legend; GEORGIVS VI D: G: BR: OMN: REX ET INDIAE IMP: Reverse; A Tiger symbolically bridging a mountain pass, with the word INDIA above.

Bars issued; (2) North West Frontier 1936-37 and North West Frontier 1937-39 (the medal could not be awarded without a bar)

Naming; impressed in sans serif capitals, several different sizes are found. Also issued with engraved naming to the RAF.

Ribbon; a red bordered, wide khaki central stripe with green edge stripes.

This example named to: 9891 SIGMN. JHANDA SINGH. I.S.C.

Obverse:

Guest Darrell

And Obviously there is a first type IGSM 1854-1895:

Instituted 22nd December 1853 after the Pegu campaign - with a recommendation being approved three months later to issue further bars for the same medal for any future campaigns and actions. Titled the "India General Service Medal" but the geographical range covered by this medal is much larger, including Persia and Malaya.

Description: 36mm diameter silver or bronze. Obverse - the diademed head of Queen Victoria and the legend "VICTORIA REGINA". Reverse depicts the winged figure of Victory crowning a seated warrior with a wreath.

Naming : Generally early issues impressed - later engraved.

Ribbon: red, with two dark blue stripes.

Bars: twenty four, see below for details.

PEGU

PERSIA

NORTH WEST FRONTIER

UMBEYLA

BHOOTAN

LOOSHAI

PERAK

NAGA 1879 - 80

JOWAKI 1877-8

BURMA 1885-7

SIKKIM 1888

HAZARA 1888

BURMA 1887-89

BURMA 1887-9

CHIN LUSHAI 1889-90

SAMANA 1891

HAZARA 1891

HUNZA 1891

N.E. FRONTIER 1891

BURMA 1889 - 92

LUSHAI 1889 - 92

CHIN HILLS 1892 - 93

KACHIN HILLS 1892 - 93

WAZIRISTAN 1894-5

Pictures coming in the future.

Guest Darrell

Where do you keep picking up all this stuff Darell?

I'll check my IGSM's - all I've got is a few singles of both KGV types to "Natives" & one which is part of a WWI DCM group to a Brit & a KGVI to a natve unit.

I keep telling the wife that "someone is donating all these to me" ... somehow I have the feeling she does not believe me :ninja:

Leigh ... post away. I'd like to see them.

Edited by Darrell

Here's my only offering of a Victorian IGS Medal with the Hazara clasp.

This was awarded to:

1922 PTE. J. DOYLE, 2nd Bn. R.Ir.R. (Royal Irish Rifles)

The medal has taken quite a "hit" at the 2 o'clock but its been in my collection for a long while and have always liked it.

Regards

Brian

Edited by Brian Wolfe

There's something that always draws me to groups or pairs of medals that bridge a historical event. In this case the soldier served under the reigns of King George V and King George VI.

This pair is named to:

6431 SEPOY GHULAM MUDDIN, 4-16 PUNJAB R.

Brian