News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

India General Service Medals

Guest Darrell

• Replies 60
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

India General Service Medal (1908) with clasp 'BURMA 1930-32' to a Lieutenant, 7th (Bengal) Mountain Battery, RA. Only five of this clasp were awarded to the Royal Artillery. The recipient was a Brigadier immediately after World War II.

Edited by Gunner 1

• 1 month later...
    Guest Darrell

RESEARCH ON CROMBIE:

David Leslie Crombie

Indian Army

This career outline for David Crombie is based purely on entries in Indian Army lists held at the National Archive Kew and a search of the London Gazette.

David Leslie Crombie was born on the 16 October 1900. He was first commissioned into the Indian Army on the 17 December 1919 and was formally appointed a Lieutenant in the Indian Army on the 17 April 1920 after first arriving in India on the 15 April 1920.

Lt Crombie is noted in the Indian Army Lists as being qualified as a Lewis Gunner and also as an Urdu speaker.

By April 1921 Lt Crombie was attached to the 151 Rifles. The following year he was attached to the 39th Royal Garhwal Rifles a part of the 18th Indian Infantry Group. Lt Crombie served with the 2nd Battalion in Waziristan as a company officer.

On the 13 April 1924 Lt Crombie was attached to the 2nd Battalion, 7 Rajput Regiment and was employed extra regimentally as the Assistant Commandant of the overseas Depot Kirkee part of the recruiting staff. By 1926 Lt Crombie had become the commandant of this depot.

By January 1928 Lt Crombie was serving as a company officer at Rawalpindi. On the 6th December 1929 a notice appeared in the London Gazette which stated that “Lt. David Leslie Crombie, 2/7th Rajput Regiment is removed from the Service, His Majesty having no further need of his services, 6th December 1929.

During World War Two a David Leslie Crombie was appointed a 2nd Lieutenant in the Infantry General List on the 6th Nov. 1941 and given the number 35532. 2nd Lieutenant Crombie was promoted a War Substantive Lieutenant on the 25th January 1943 in the Pioneer Corps.

In the First World War there is only one David L Crombie listed in the medal index cards this is a Pte David L Crombie who served in France during 1915 with the 7 Battalion Cameron Highlanders with the number S/4195 and later with the Gordon Highlanders and the number TR/1/10644. If this is the same man and his Indian Army date of birth is correct then he served in France as a 15 year old!

Guest Darrell

Thanks Mervyn, no I have a researcher doing the digging for me in GB.

Since I posted this, I have determined that the last person mentioned in the research (and the one the MIC belongs to) is in fact NOT the same person.