News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

"Pomp & Changing Circumstance" - The Apparent Demise of Full Dress

It looks like there's a tiny "tuft" behind the cap badge in the illustration.

I think that there's an llustration of the uniform in Lt Col Olaf Mcleod's (the right name?)book on Full Dress, (lkle the author's, the name of the book escapes me) but that may be Tank Corps or Royal Tank Corps.

I must dig out the relevant issue of "The Regiment" & check if there are any photos or other illustrations of the uniform in there.

I was looking at a photo of an officer wearing the astrakan beret with, I think Service or Battledress only a few days ago, probably in Brian L. Davis's "British Army Uniforms....WWII" or the aforementioned copy of "The Regiment".

Notice the comment about the Rifle Brigade KRRC green / black trousers?

Yes, I thought so - & it's not as if they've broken precedence in order to show the bearskin plumes, wth Scots Guards face on as they have no plume to show (& by coincidence would be in the correct precedence as 3rd).

And whoever would think thet the Coldstream take precedence as the senior regiment? (if I used emoticons there'd be a little evil smiley face here).

• 2 weeks later...

The illustration I mentioned n post no. 26, from "Their Glory Shall Not Be Blotted Out" (The Last Full Dress Uniforms of the Brtish Army), by Lt Col Olaf Macleod (late Coke's Rifles, Frontier Force, Indian Army), published by Lutterworth Press, Cambridge, 1986.

(I knew the title came from Ecclesiastcus but could'nt palace it amongst wanting seeds & no more strangers etc).

Also, the illustration from the Moss Bros pamphlet:

Edited by leigh kitchen