News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

British helmets collection

Hi Mervyn

If somebody did paint it for that reason, they don't know their helmets either,as the officer's helmet had silver metal fittings. A mystery!

Patrick

Edited by pjac

• 10 months later...
    • Replies 66
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a while since I've posted , so I'll add a few more helmets over the next few days. This one is to Major Graham of the Cheshire Regiment, later Major General Edward Graham.

052_zpsece6b5a4.jpg

Patrick

• 3 months later...

Peter, thanks

My helmets have to fit into my study, which isn't very big, although some of the ones shown in the past have moved on to finance new purchases. The only one which is allowed out of the study is the 3rd Dragoon Guards, shown earlier, because the brass and the red and white plume go well with the decor in in our lounge! My wife is actually very tolerant, although she does from time to time make the point that I'll spend hundreds of pounds on a blue cloth helmet or medal without jibbing (much) whereas I'll think twice before spending £50 on something for the house or garden. No doubt others will have experienced this!

Patrick

Edited by pjac

Time for an update

1.2nd Volunteer Battalion Norfolk Regiment

Named inside to 'Arnold'. Not researched yet.

014_zps2bb3865d.jpg

2. 7th Lancashire Artillery Volunteers

017_zpscbabfd8e.jpg

3. 64th (2nd South Staffordshire) Regiment of Foot

The numerals were only worn on home service helmets for three years before re-organisation and the introduction of territorial titles for regiments. The helmet is named inside to Captain Dugmore 64th Regt, and came with a named tin to this officer. If anybody has the time to google Captain Dugmore 64th foot , you'll find that he doesn't appear to have been much of an officer and a gentleman!

019_zpsd4aaea57.jpg

Patrick

• 2 weeks later...
    • 6 months later...

Another one to add. Lothians and Berwickshire Yeomanry Cavalry. This unit existed from 1888-1902.

Unfortunately a piece of the ornate decoration on the helmet plate is missing alongside the crown. I have seen similar damage on a couple of other helmets to this unit, presumably because the delicate design of a wreath of thistles makes it susceptible to this type of harm. Anyway these helmets are so few and far between that I bought it despite the problem. Patrick

005_zpse9793de3.jpg

Hi Stuart

I haven't been on here much recently. Good to see that you've returned to the fold.

I think 'superb' more accurately describes your collection, rather than mine!

Patrick

• 2 months later...

A new arrival. This is a green cloth helmet to the Shropshire Light Infantry, pre-1891. The light infantry regiments wore green cloths rather than the blue cloths worn by other regiments.The photo doesn't really do it justice, as the green of the cloth has become more of a blue in the process of importing the photo from Photobucket. The gilt is very bright and nicely toned- difficult to capture, as natural light is awful on the shortest day of the year in Scotland, so I've had to use flash.

Patrick.

008_zps18b04374.jpg

Edited by pjac

Thanks Brian

Still can't believe I got this one. It was on ebay at a very reasonable starting price and I got it for that price with no competition. Don't know if everybody else was spent up before Christmas!

Patrick