News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

" Regimental Badges & Service Caps" 1941

What a bloody amazing booklet - very handy to have at militaria fairs for identifying unusual FSC's. At the same time I was astounded to see that the RNF had been given to wearing just the plain GS pattern FSC, whereas only the O/R's seemed to have worn it, while the offices continued to wear their Torrin caps as illustrated in another post. I'm also aware that RNF officers may have also had a GS pattern FSC but with gosling green piping etc. Leigh - are you aware of the latter???

Edited by Graham Stewart

No, never heard of that one - I did wonder if there was a possibilty that the RNF were wearing a Gosling Green cap that was portrayed as khaki, but perhaps they just were'nt given to wearing dress sidecaps at thet time, only the khaki FS one.

The illustrations as posted are the same size as the orignal pages, give or take a few mm, unfortuantely it reduces the detail in the illustrations of the caps, though not the insigna.

It has'nt helped me identify this cap though - King's Crown GS buttons, I veer towards a yeomanry regiment, or Colonial, possibly Canadian?

• 2 weeks later...
    • 5 months later...

I bought this thinking from photos on a dealer's site that it was light blue / dark blue & therefore probably Army Education Corps - but it isn't, it's green & black or dark blue.

Army Dental Corps could fit the bill other than it does'nt have any coloured pipng.

The Kng's Crown GS pattern buttons are marked "BUTTONS LTD B'HAM", the button holes are'nt finished off with stitching, they're just horizontal slits in the cloth. The flaps are'nt meant to be worn down, they don't have a hook & eye arrangement, they're lightly tacked to the body of the cap at the hghest points of the flaps.

Any body any ideas?

Great reference, even better that you posted it! I take that it's pretty rare to find...?

British headgear starts to tempt me more and more... !

Edited by MASteel

The orignal booklet is'nt easy to find, the informaton on side caps in it (I don't think it's been re-published snce WWII), minus illustrations but with additional information appears in Brian Leigh Davis's British Army UNiforms & Insignia of WWII, by Arms & Armour Press.