News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Ethiopian Imperial Guard Wolseley Helmet

sabrigade

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_11_2009/post-3034-125880200837.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_11_2009/post-3034-125880201207.jpg

This arrived today in Khartoum and will now form part of my international pith helmet collection.

• 2 weeks later...

Fantastic helmet!! Interestingly, I was offered a similar one by a dealer in Addis last month. I have a vets old uniform, but not an IG one (they had epalettes).

There's a GREAT photo of these being worn in the National Geographic @ 1964.

There can't be more than 100 of them still around and few in that good condition.

That is a very nice example. I now have four Ethiopian sun helmets. I think there are probably a lot more than 100 however. Back in the spring of 2007 I saw the first one for sale, at least that I noticed. The bidding went to $600 and I didn't get it. Then a couple months later I was in Paris and was outbid again, as that one went for $700. I was determined to find one and contacted every dealer of Ethiopian goods and I found a helmet... and paid far less than $600! I think I must have shaken loose a hornets nest because now I see this with a lot regularity. I was told a cache of helmets was uncovered because some Westerner kept asking about these, and when he offered "cash," every old military store room was emptied trying to find the damn things! Seriously, that's what I heard from another dealer, with the question, "you're not that guy."

Here are a few of my examples:

This is the most recent addition. Note that the cockade on the side has reversed colors from the later ones. This is Red/Yellow/Green. I have found a source that says that this was the original color pattern, but after Italy invaded the colors were reversed, so as not to get confused with the Italian's Red/White/Green:

Early.jpg

This is my World War II era helmet. It is a British polo helmet, and features the Ethiopian flash.

ethiopian11.jpg

A period photo showing the type of polo helmets:

ethiopian3.jpg

My early post-war helmet, circa early 1960s I believe:

ethiopian1.jpg

My final one, a later 1970s era helmet. Note this badge is of poor quality.

Late.jpg

WOW!! very cool indeed. I have noticed them on eBay over the past year. Someone offered me one for $150, so the price has come down. The proffered helmet did not have a badge though.

The ribbons are not easy to find either. I like very much the second example.

Hi Peter and Ulsterman,

I purchased the helmet in Khartoum from a French diplomat who spent some time collecting Ethiopian militaria and artifacts.

He is selling some of the items but alas only had the one helmet.

I have been "badly" influenced and will post photographs of my helmet collection and ROOM in a few weeks time.

I will be in South Africa on 10 December 2009.

Regards,

Will

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_11_2009/post-3034-125880200837.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_11_2009/post-3034-125880201207.jpg

This arrived today in Khartoum and will now form part of my international pith helmet collection.

Hello!

Wow,very nice Helmet.Thanks for showing. :cheers:

all the best

Morten.

Here is a link (hopefully) to a similar helmet which has appeared on the UK ebay site.Helmet

I saw that as well. It looks OK. Only thing... the cockade is on the LEFT side. My three have the cockade on the RIGHT side. Every photo shows them on the RIGHT side. A mistake, a seller putting parts together, a different unit? I don't know.

I also noticed that, the rest of the helmet looks correct but I am far from being an expert.

I think the deal here is that the Ethiopian Army had a lot of these and dozens or more sat in storage when the Monarchy fell. I don't know how much use any of these actually had gotten either.

This latest helmet has an infantry/army insignia so I don't think it would be a case of certain guards wearing a cockade on the left and others wearing in the right. I think this was either a local mistake by the soldier, or probably a bunch of parts put together that were found in the depot. No way to know. The amount of information on these is scattered at best!

• 1 year later...

Yes, the cockade is on the right side on all four of mine also. I sell both the cockade, back piece and helmets when available. The cockade is normally backed with the bluish aluminum plaque as shown at the top, and the ones below probably had the cockades added later because the plaques don't just fall off, leaving the cockade. All Imperial Guard helmets should have the gold insignia stamped inside on the leather head piece. One is usually available from, so get in touch if interested.

The ribbon displayed on the helmet above is the ribbon for the Order of Chivalry known as the Order of Menelik II, most unusual used this way, but then it IS on a British polo helmet and not apparently associated with the Imperial Guard. Perhaps the helmet belonged to one of those serving with Wingate and his Gideon Force, 1940-May, 1941 and participated in the Emperor's triumphant entry into Addis Ababa on May 5th, 1941.

That is a very nice example. I now have four Ethiopian sun helmets. I think there are probably a lot more than 100 however. Back in the spring of 2007 I saw the first one for sale, at least that I noticed. The bidding went to $600 and I didn't get it. Then a couple months later I was in Paris and was outbid again, as that one went for $700. I was determined to find one and contacted every dealer of Ethiopian goods and I found a helmet... and paid far less than $600! I think I must have shaken loose a hornets nest because now I see this with a lot regularity. I was told a cache of helmets was uncovered because some Westerner kept asking about these, and when he offered "cash," every old military store room was emptied trying to find the damn things! Seriously, that's what I heard from another dealer, with the question, "you're not that guy."

Here are a few of my examples:

This is the most recent addition. Note that the cockade on the side has reversed colors from the later ones. This is Red/Yellow/Green. I have found a source that says that this was the original color pattern, but after Italy invaded the colors were reversed, so as not to get confused with the Italian's Red/White/Green:

Early.jpg

This is my World War II era helmet. It is a British polo helmet, and features the Ethiopian flash.

ethiopian11.jpg

A period photo showing the type of polo helmets:

ethiopian3.jpg

My early post-war helmet, circa early 1960s I believe:

ethiopian1.jpg

My final one, a later 1970s era helmet. Note this badge is of poor quality.

Late.jpg

I just received one in the mail today, and made an interesting discovery. Where this one didn't have the bluish backing piece of aluminum behind the cockade on the outside of the helmet, I looked inside, and sure enough, it WAS THERE! I relocated it to the outside, underneath the cockade. Please check your pith helmets, and if you don't have the backing piece on the outside, please look inside and let me know? Thanks!