News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Spanish Order and medal wanted

army historian

I posted his story in "The Recipients Story" Enjoy, translating spanish is not my high point!

Very interesting history...and very documented as well...If you need some help to translate something from spanish to english, you can send me any paper you want...I´ll try my best...The Orden of the beneficiencia (Order or mercy) is not difficult to find but it´s a littel expensive..., as is the Alfonso XII medal you depicted, but I think that this medal is mainly to "Loyal" trops enged against the carlistas in the spanist Carlist civil war.(1873-75)

I´m find a very similar the one you want at a auction (ebay -like) spanish site named: www.todocoleccion.net item nr:13619645 180€, breast star is more expensive 650€ item nr:15959520

Medal of distinction of Alfonso XII goes from 190 to 90€€ depending on the use, ribbon, and bars...this pictured is item nr:16081415 at the same site

I hope that you can find something... :D

Regards :cheers:

miguel

Edited by hipnos

Medal of distinction of Alfonso XII goes from 190 to 90€€ depending on the use, ribbon, and bars...this pictured is item nr:16081415 at the same site

I hope that you can find something... biggrin.gif

Regards cheers.gif

miguel

Thank you very much Miguel for your kind offer. The Spanish Military sent me zerox copies of his whole Military file. I spent alot of time translating, even had a friend's wife help. I received the information after my mother had died (she spoke and could read Castillian Spainish). I can only speak Spanish if I am really drunk? I guess it is in my brain somewhere, just can't normally find it. But again Thanks for the offer and the help. Respectfully Gearge Albert

cheers.gif

Miguel, you mentioned that the Alfonso 12 medal may have been only used during the Carlos Wars. If that is so, what kind of medal would my Great Grandfather have received in 1891? As I said I never saw the medals. Thanks, respectfully Captain George Albert

Edited by army historian

cheers.gif

Miguel, you mentioned that the Alfonso 12 medal may have been only used during the Carlos Wars. If that is so, what kind of medal would my Great Grandfather have received in 1891? As I said I never saw the medals. Thanks, respectfully Captain George Albert

Guerras carlistas...The Carlist Wars in Spain were the last major European civil wars in which pretenders fought to establish their claim to a throne. Several times during the period from 1833 to 1876 the Carlists followers of Infante Carlos (later Carlos V) and his descendants rallied to the cry of "God, Country, and King" and fought for the cause of Spanish tradition (Legitimism and Catholicism) against the liberalism, and later the republicanism, of the Spanish governments of the day.

When Ferdinand VII of Spain died in 1833, his fourth wife Maria Cristina became Queen regent on behalf of their infant daughter Isabella II. This splintered the country into two factions known as the Cristinos (or Isabelinos) and the Carlists. The Cristinos were the supporters of the Queen Regent and her government. The Carlists were the supporters of Carlos V, a pretender to the throne and brother of the deceased Ferdinand VII, who denied the validity of the Pragmatic Sanction of 1830 that abolished the semi Salic Law (he was born before 1830).

The First Carlist War (1833-1839)lasted over seven years and the fighting spanned most of the country at one time or another, although the main conflict centered on the Carlist homelands of the Basque Country and Aragon, Catalonia and Valencia.

The Second Carlist War was a minor Catalonian uprising lasting two years from 1846 to 1849. The rebels tried to install Carlos VI on the throne. In Galicia, the uprising was put down by General Ramón María Narváez.

The Third Carlist War (1872-1876)began in the aftermath of the deposition of one ruling monarch and abdication of another. Queen Isabella II was overthrown by a conspiracy of liberal generals in 1868, and left Spain in some disgrace. The Cortes (Parliament) replaced her with Amadeo, the Duke of Aosta (and second son of King Victor Emmanuel of Italy). Then, when the Spanish elections of 1872 resulted in government violence against Carlist candidates and a swing away from Carlism, the Carlist pretender, Carlos VII, decided that only force of arms could win him the throne. The Third Carlist War began. It lasted until 1876.

SO, I must make some reseach work...colonial activity was evident in the last spanish possesions (Cuba, Philipinnes, Puertorico, etc...), so too in North africa (I´ve a africa medals dated 1860, but this was the queen Isabel II...

I don´ñ t forget you, don´t worry.

Regards from Spain... :cheers:

Miguel

I had some esplendid pics i´ve finded in a carlist blog in Spain...

The bar is of an Officer...but you can see a Beneficiencia order...5 from the left. The medal of distinction of Alfonso XII was instituted in 1874...¿?¿?and in 1876 the other similar medal...

Hope this can be of some help...

Edited by hipnos